• image-1687799180.jpg
    image-1687799180.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Gonna wait right here to see what you found Oklahoma Digger.

Went there the other day it was too muddy from all the rain & thunderstorms (+ a tornado) we had. Now that we will have some good hot dry weather next few days. Should be exciting. Any ideas or suggestions what I should do what to take with me would be great. I have a magnet, a little metal detector on my iPhone, a magnifying glass & a good pair of eyes...

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Went there the other day it was too muddy from all the rain & thunderstorms (+ a tornado) we had. Now that we will have some good hot dry weather next few days. Should be exciting. Any ideas or suggestions what I should do what to take with me would be great. I have a magnet, a little metal detector on my iPhone, a magnifying glass & a good pair of eyes...

Now that its been 2 months plus rain should I look for black fusion or brown rusty fusion? Thx!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it'll still have a crust, if you can get a regular metal detector it'll make the search easier in case they're buried a little, you don't need a top of the line detector just get a brand name cheap one. Usually unless it made a big flash and sometimes audible explosion or impact they don't make it to the ground, not to be negative or anything because I hope you find one. Good luck. Alex

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Yes it'll still have a crust, if you can get a regular metal detector it'll make the search easier in case they're buried a little, you don't need a top of the line detector just get a brand name cheap one. Usually unless it made a big flash and sometimes audible explosion or impact they don't make it to the ground, not to be negative or anything because I hope you find one. Good luck. Alex

Went over to the field and spoke with the owner before searching and didn't find anything due to high grass. As soon as he cut it I will go back.

Hey MeteorMiner... What type of rock is this embedding in street? Looks differ than any other around its area?

Attachments

• image-3985831172.jpg
    image-3985831172.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 81

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's basalt, if it's shiny probably obsidian, kind of hard to tell how shiny from pic, disclaimer* I'm not an expert though.8-)

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
I think it's basalt, if it's shiny probably obsidian, kind of hard to tell how shiny from pic, disclaimer* I'm not an expert though.8-)

Couple of pics. Thx!

Attachments

• image-1083587332.jpg
    image-1083587332.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3953271473.jpg
    image-3953271473.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 76

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol did you dig it out of the street? Same answer as before pretty much, kinda looks like asphalt though, post it in Dustedyou's thread in hard rock mining he could prob tell you for sure.8-)

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Lol did you dig it out of the street? Same answer as before pretty much, kinda looks like asphalt though, post it in Dustedyou's thread in hard rock mining he could prob tell you for sure.8-)

Yes Sir I dug it up... I know I keep bugging u but I found another rock yesterday walking my lil dog. What is this rock? Thx!

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013

Attachments

• image-2809858364.jpg
    image-2809858364.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4018482141.jpg
    image-4018482141.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1409567845.jpg
    image-1409567845.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 71

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you physically see the impact as is happens, you can't know exactly where (or even IF) a meteorite makes it to the ground. When you see it "burn out" it is still 10s of thousands of feet in the air and traveling hundreds of miles an hour. So unless you watch it crash into the earth, what you see in the sky is probably landing in the next county or next state, or burning up completely.

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Unless you physically see the impact as is happens, you can't know exactly where (or even IF) a meteorite makes it to the ground. When you see it "burn out" it is still 10s of thousands of feet in the air and traveling hundreds of miles an hour. So unless you watch it crash into the earth, what you see in the sky is probably landing in the next county or next state, or burning up completely.

No it landed a block or 2 over... Thx Jason!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Sir I dug it up... I know I keep bugging u but I found another rock yesterday walking my lil dog. What is this rock? Thx!
Haha don't worry your not bugging me lol, I'm just not the best guy on the forum to ask to identify things. I think this one looks like granite but I could be wrong. It looks dark in pics but it's lighter color in person I think from pics I see.

OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Haha don't worry your not bugging me lol, I'm just not the best guy on the forum to ask to identify things. I think this one looks like granite but I could be wrong. It looks dark in pics but it's lighter color in person I think from pics I see.

Thx! I was thinking slag because it attracts a magnet really well.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went over to the field and spoke with the owner before searching and didn't find anything due to high grass. As soon as he cut it I will go back.

Hey MeteorMiner... What type of rock is this embedding in street? Looks differ than any other around its area?
Definitely NOT obsidian. Obsidian is volcanic glass and looks exactly like glass but jet black.... no breccia or stones... just glass. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread