Seen Meteorite Fall From The Sky, and Start Fire

Dig It Man

Jan 31, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1995 or so I was with a friend of mine, and as we were driving down the interstate home one night, we seen a streak of fire come from the sky, and land right off the side of the interstate in the woods, which started a fire. We were going to stop to check things out, but were in a hurry to get home to get ready for work the next day. At the time I really never gave much thought about meteorites having any value. I know the precise location where this Meteorite hit, and it is within 50 yards off the interstate. Would it be worth any money if I went and got it? I am sure I can locate it within a short time with my detector, because I marked the spot that night, and I have not forgotten the precise location.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it would be worth something. I'd first check some meteorite bulletin sites and see if there was a location reported for what state you were in when it landed. If a report was made, there may have been someone out there already looking around. Just be careful for safety and anonymity reasons. I would want to get in there, recover it and get out in one visit. If you are out there metal detecting, the minute you are out of site someone else will be in there snooping around so I hope you can get some of it if not all.
Here is one such site,
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php

Jon

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to ask permission from the landowner.

Secondly, don't park on the interstate. Cops don't like that; it's illegal. Use a map to get to the place with back roads. You'll draw a lot less attention too.

In a pinch, you could get dropped off on the highway by someone else and climb the fence (remember permission), but don't get caught. An interstate is a high traffic strip, and has safety rules accordingly.

Oh, yeah, these rules are for your safety. Cars and trucks are rocketing by at 70+ MPH, and things can happen fast.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Dig It Man

Dig It Man

Jan 31, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:
I would think it would be worth something. I'd first check some meteorite bulletin sites and see if there was a location reported for what state you were in when it landed. If a report was made, there may have been someone out there already looking around. Just be careful for safety and anonymity reasons. I would want to get in there, recover it and get out in one visit. If you are out there metal detecting, the minute you are out of site someone else will be in there snooping around so I hope you can get some of it if not all.
Here is one such site,
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php

Jon
The area of the interstate we were on at the time had no traffic, it was around 2am in the morning, and the fire only burn for like a couple of minutes and went out, so no one was around that seen the fire but us. Once the fire burn out we left.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my two cents. I have never heard of a meteorite starting a fire. Most are not even warm and, in fact cold to the touch. What may have fallen is a piece of space junk! Even more rare than meteorites. I worked for the Kennedy Space Center for several years before going disabled. Our instruction warned us of getting close to anything manmade that falls from space. The nuclear possibility is only the beginning! Also worry about the bad chemicals that make a rocket work. I walked down the steps from Level 95 (where the astronauts) get on the shuttle and just touching the railing was enough to send me to the hospital! Use caution when approaching this thing WHATEVER it is! TTC

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a meteorite start a fire. Well, let me rephrase that - what was left of a meteorite started a fire in some dry grass that it land on - at the same time, a part of it hit a car that was parked. It didn't stay very long either - it was on television a few years ago in Arizona. (I'm looking to see if there is still an article out there about it).

Either way - I would have my but there with a good magnet. :whip2: :whip2: :whip2:

Beth

PS: If you find a piece or two - we will need pictures.

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting, When ever your ready to find it let me know, Im in AL. I have the Monster magnet. Ive already have a few, so id enjoyi helping you find your first.

Good Luck, HH

ZachNBama

OP
OP
Dig It Man

Dig It Man

Jan 31, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fireman4youu said:
Sounds interesting, When ever your ready to find it let me know, Im in AL. I have the Monster magnet. Ive already have a few, so id enjoyi helping you find your first.

Good Luck, HH

ZachNBama
I am checking on who owns that land off the interstate, and when I find that out, I will see whoever it is about looking for that. I don't want to get into any trouble about trespassing. If it turns out ok, That would be ok with me if you helped me locate it. It is going to be in an area of about 100 by about 100 square yards. I will let you know Zack when I get all the details, and thanks for offering to help with that. Regards, Alan E. Bradley

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime...Worse case..we can fly over and snap some pics.. :) and see what it looks like from the air....

Zach :icon_thumright:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey - just want to wish you good luck.

If you find some ---- post pics!!! It will mean a new meteorite - you can get it classified and named for you.

Beth

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I, also, am very much interested in the outcome... kinda like..... a quest! Always like to see a longtime quest come to a happy conclusion! Let us know. TTC

OP
OP
Dig It Man

Dig It Man

Jan 31, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with a man who said he thought the Rail Road owned the property, so I am still checking on that, so when I find out anything further I will post it. Have a nice one folks. Regards Alan Bradley

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one fall. Three days later I found and collected it. Its the most amazing thing you can ever see/do see something fall then take it for yourself. Not something you'll ever forget either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread