Selective Service.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I just checked my status on the website and it claims they do not have my record on hand, I know for a fact I sent the card in when I was 18 which was the last I ever heard from them and I had no reason to check until recently or else I would have re-submitted it, now they claim since im over 26 its too late when I tried to submit my name into their site. Has anyone run into this issue? I want to apply for a few Gov. security jobs but without them having my record it looks like im SOL. I don't know what to do, im far from a draft dodger, hell im Republican and an Eagle Scout. I don't know how I could prove I sent my card in. I'd even be willing to enlist in the reserves if that would clear my record and allow me to apply for Gov. jobs. :dontknow:

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Easy solution: Just go to your nearest recruitment center and tell them you want to enlist. Claim you know where Osama is and you want to be the guy who gets him (make sure you say 'Osama' and not 'Obama'). When they say you are too old, ask them to put it in writing. Show that when you apply for a government job.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Johnnysan said:
Easy solution: Just go to your nearest recruitment center and tell them you want to enlist. Claim you know where Osama is and you want to be the guy who gets him (make sure you say 'Osama' and not 'Obama'). When they say you are too old, ask them to put it in writing. Show that when you apply for a government job.

LOL I wish but im still young enough to enlist just too old for some stupid reason to reapply for the selective service. I'll have to call them maybe they just screwed up my SS number or something but with any government agency its a pain in the ass finding anyone who is willing to help you out.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
Johnnysan said:

LOL I wish but im still young enough to enlist just too old for some stupid reason to reapply for the selective service. I'll have to call them maybe they just screwed up my SS number or something but with any government agency its a pain in the ass finding anyone who is willing to help you out.

ok first... youre still harping on this??! lol... this was so.... 8 hours ago! LMFAO!!!!!
second... soon youll be one of the gov workers who wont help people out!
just tell them what happened...or call the location where you submitted the application.
i dont think its as big of a deal as youre making it out to be. ok.... now im going to
pm you something.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised they look for a SS card. I remember signing my card back when I was in High School and I had no problem. God only knows what happened to that card anyway :dontknow:

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
prospector40 said:
Not registering for the selective service does not keep you from obtaining federal employment. It will disqualify you for employment with an executive agency. What will happen is that you may be questioned about it during your background investigation. Being questioned about it also depends on the position, the level of clearance eligibility or clearance that you would be required to have, and the specific agency. Most govt jobs do not require a clearance, only clearance eligibility. Prior to employment with the govt, you will undergo a background investigation. The security questionaire you will have to fill out for your background investigation will have a question relating to the SS. It will clearly ask if you registered and will ask for your registration#. I would enter "yes" that you registered and then explain in the remarks section what happened. Put as much detail in as possible (dates, people you spoke to, answers obtained, and so on). Whatever you do, dont count yourself out if your not registered.

Thanks, the jobs do involve security clearence and will require me to carry a gun, im appying with a few different agencys. I'll do what you said on the app, im also sending in the form savant posted. If worse comes to worse i'll do a stint in the reserves or guard (it will give me a few extra points anyway) if that will clear it up and give me access to the job. I moved 4 months after I turned 18 so maybe they sent followup papers to my old house instead but form what I understand the card was the only thing you need to fill out.

I agree sparticus, im not sure why they dont just automatically register all males once they turn 18, its the law anyway. They never made mention of it in my school, basically the card just came in the mail one day shortly after I turned 18, I filled in the info and sent it back. I know a lot of kids register when they go to get federal grants but I never needed a grant or applied for any federal jobs so I had no reason prior to this to check on the status of my SS.

B

BIG61AL

What a farse...I remember having to register for the draft and three months later I graduated High school and tried to enlist in the air force. I passed the mental test with a high score but failed the physical because I had a tumor removed from my upper arm. They said if I was someplace and it reoccured they may not get me to a hospital in time before it killed me. Last time I looked every major war has had medical unit standing by. I could be evacuated to an European facility from any place in the far east in hours. Now they let soldiers with atificial legs stay in the ranks. Just plain weird.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread