Sell 40%ers and buy American Silver Eagles???

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell 40%'ers and buy American Silver Eagles???

Hey Hey,

So, I've been tossing an idea around for a couple of days. I'd like to use one of my life-lines and "poll the audience":

Is it a good idea to sell the 40%'ers and use the money to buy American Silver Eagles??

Here's my thinking:
- I've seen some rolls of 40%'ers going for a small percentage over spot on eBay (always as a Buy-It-Now, never at auction.). Coinflation is saying a roll of 40's is worth $81.05. Whose to say I can't take a stab at listing a roll at $85-90 and see if anyone bites. If I am able to do that, I'll be close to spot once the fees are taken out. Maybe Craigslist is a better option??

- The prices for a roll (20) of American Silver Eagles is all over the place. I've seen some rare opportunities where a roll was $30 above spot. But those good deals are far and few between.

OR....

Do I just hold on to everything?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
TGB

Upvote 0

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Switch to 90% halves. You will get more oz this way. You could get some good deal on eBay, too. I was able to get them (including shipping) less than spot not too long ago.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be interested in hearing what folks have to say about this as well.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just depends mainly on why you are involved with CRH to begin with. People CRH for a variety of reasons...from just wanting a little extra cash all the way to hoarding for the zombie apocalypse, and everything in between. My initial intention was to hoard the 90% and swap the 40%ers for the old U.S. gold coins that have been eluding my detector for all these years. If you'd rather have the ASE's than the 40%, then by all means trade up.

Now, if your goal is to just amass as much silver as possible, then unless you can somehow sell very high on the 40% and buy very low on the ASE's, then it makes very little sense to "trade up" as you will lose silver overall in the process.

Bottom line is this: You worked for the silver. Its yours. Do what you wish with it. And by all means don't let anyone, myself included, talk you out of whatever you decide.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can sell for spot not looseing much. Then why not !! I have every coin i ever found crh. Over 2250 40% Its a big pile.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It just depends mainly on why you are involved with CRH to begin with. People CRH for a variety of reasons...from just wanting a little extra cash all the way to hoarding for the zombie apocalypse, and everything in between. My initial intention was to hoard the 90% and swap the 40%ers for the old U.S. gold coins that have been eluding my detector for all these years. If you'd rather have the ASE's than the 40%, then by all means trade up.

Now, if your goal is to just amass as much silver as possible, then unless you can somehow sell very high on the 40% and buy very low on the ASE's, then it makes very little sense to "trade up" as you will lose silver overall in the process.

Bottom line is this: You worked for the silver. Its yours. Do what you wish with it. And by all means don't let anyone, myself included, talk you out of whatever you decide.

Man, nicely put. My intention is save every piece I get till I retire,or "They" put a stop to CRH. This is my additional 401 K, if you will. Or my children will get it if I die before then.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always traded up to ASE's or gold. I don't care that I've lost a bit o silver in the process. I don't care to look at 40% coins, (dull).
To each his own.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd just hold on to them. The only thing that would change is the amount of space you'd be taking up.
If you have 100 oz's...you have 100oz's.
If you sell 100oz's of 40%s...you won't have enough money there to get 100oz's of ASE's.
Unless you find some one paying quite a bit over melt.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
If you long for ASEs, trade some 40% Kens. While remotely possible, you almost certainly will never find ASEs by CRH'ing (some have, but it's not realistic to expect to). You will find some more 40% Kens.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TGB,
sell 40% silver and buy gold... that's where the money is at!
I am saving up for a gold buffalo proof that is .9999 fine 24K gold, it'll take some time but I will be able to say I bought it for a lot less with a hobby I love doing!
HH
Buff

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I did something simmilar, but for gold. I sold my 40% for a little less than spot to ProvidentMetals and traded for some 1/10th oz gold coins that I can slip into a pill bottle and hide in my bum when the zombies rise.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/291720-i-just-earned-gold-via-crh.html

I've been thinking of doing the same "trading up" for ASE's. But after thinking about it and reading some responses, gold may be the way to go. Except I probably won't be hiding any in my bum, like Doc :laughing7:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember, gold is much more dense than silver and takes up far less space too! everybody knows about gold, not everybody knows about silver..
HH
Buff

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some day, when people go to the bank and find out their life savings is worthless, they will quickly learn about silver. ;)

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on what you like. If you like silver eagles, by all means get them. If you don't, then don't. Myself I've been cashing in some of my CRH finds for interesting collectible coins and Britannias. The reason I like the Britannias over the Eagles is, its got a more interesting design, and they are produced in much, much, much more limited quantities.

For example, the 2010 silver Britannia had a mintage of 100,000 in uncirculated (with a further 2,500 in proof and 2,500 proof sets including the fractional ones), to put that into comparison, there were 34,764,500 uncirculated silver eagles made in 2010.

The way I figure it, silver eagles have no value beyond their silver content. If silver suddenly drops to $10 an ounce, a silver eagle isn't going to be worth much more than that. On the other hand, a Britannia that I bought for ~$35 today would survive that plunge nearly unscathed, if we see silver jump up to $50, the Britannia and the Eagle are both going to be worth the same.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad... great advise, I might be buying one of thise Britannias after what I just read :)

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad... great advise, I might be buying one of thise Britannias after what I just read :)

Check some of your dealers, I know Apmex has them for ~$40 a coin, but there are a few dealers I've gone to that just price Britannias as junk silver. Keep in mind that 2001 is the key date of the series because it is the lowest mintage and has a unique design (Britannias rotate every year, it goes from the typical standing Britannia to a unique design, back to the standing Britannia and so on), they generally go for $50-60 on eBay.

The neat thing about Britannias also is that the uncirculated version is actually more like a reverse proof. Not exactly the same as like a silver eagle reverse proof, but the design is shiny while the fields are plain.

But certainly shop around, I've found some dealers trying to sell them at $75 a coin (for common dates) but I've seen others just sell it for spot.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
When upgrading from junk silver, I'd stick with the Eagles or other .999 bullion. IMO it's not worth going with .958 Britannias, unless you want just a couple as a collector. I don't see paying a $5-7 premium over spot for .958 bullion coins.

The Britannia will be switching to .999 in 2013, so by all means pickup as many of those as you want when they come out. Unless the premium goes down when they start producing more of them to compete with the other mints, the better investment for larger quantities is in Eagles, Maples and Philharmonics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread