Selling coins? Garage Sale?

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried selling coins at garage sales, flea markets, or community wide sales?

I was at an antique consignment mall and the old coin section was receiving very high interest from customers. The prices were pretty high on all coins but people were still buying. It got me to thinking that people out garage sale shopping might be more inclined to purchase coins if they are modestly priced. We have other stuff to get rid of too but I was thinking a garage sale might be the best way to get favorable prices on my halfs, quarters, nickels, and wheats.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I am more likely to buy coins at garage and estate sales than the flea market or gun show because the prices are outrageous at the latter. Garage sales dont have the overhead and pressure.

Couple years ago I got a Peace Dollar for $10 at an estate sale.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell & trade coins for vintage jewelry & other antiques to resell. The antique malls / stores have to cover overhead. A lot of sellers need to mark up to cover their stall rent. Trade secret-> A lot of the malls have their renters mark up prices above what they want to cover the "Wednesdays 20% off" sales, so you'll see some outrageous prices. The other thing to remember is you can always come in with a lower offer even if the seller isn't there. The people at the counter can leave an offer for the seller with their receipts or rent slip. Old saying "They can't shoot you for asking". If you have coins or vintage jewelry you're looking to move, take it with you! Sometimes you can trade for what you want with your doubles or stuff you don't want & get a nicer deal than you can with cash in hand!

Print up some cards. They don't have to be fancy, you can do 8 or 10 on a sheet of regular printer paper. Put your name & phone# on the top & leave room below for item description or tag#. People behind the register seem to like it when you do the work & all they have to do is hand the seller a slip of paper.

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A private collector who I sometimes sell coins to recently took some space at a flea market to sell off proof sets and other coins he didn't feel like keeping. He said he got a great price for them and sold them in a matter of minutes after the flea market opened.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
With flea markets/antique malls if you are selling stuff at melt, chances are they will go FAST. The stuff that sticks around is the junk that is overpriced ('64 Kennedies for $20). The problem is you've got to cover overhead when it comes to an antique mall/flea market.

Garage sales would be good, but Craigslist is going to be your best option.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I would never offer coins from my property. I don't need added visibility to clue in some stranger that I have a coin collection. If you must, get a table once a month at a flea market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread