mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you want to take your stones out. I just sold some of my rings and they told me that they do not buy the stones. So I went ot the store and got some tools and took out the stones. I have not sold the stones yet. As I still have not found out where to sell them yet. So I will save them up until I get a few....Matt

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Found that stones mean squat! Unless they are large. Why would a jeweler want your garbage. ;D

Your question is selling GOLD right?
Then deal with a company like Midwest Refineries. many of us do.

Or sell to your friends or Family or e-bay etc..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most pawn shops and the like will discount the weight of the ring (often too much and "keep the "worthless" :wink: gems as well (often they keep the ring intact and try to "resell" it at a hefty mark up )---- if your selling gold to these pirates for scrap metal prices --yank the gems so they can not say ok so much of the weight "off" because of the stones -- that way you can say x grams of gold at 14k purity % is ---------- with no "monkey bussiness" in the mix

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I have enough Gold saved up again, I will only sell to Midwest Refineries, they are the tops. I sold a large quantity of scrap to a jeweler in St. Petersburg and netted $725. Had I sent it into Midwest Refineries, my take would have been at least $500 more. I keep their site in my Favorite list. I'm saving up for a newer 75 HP Honda 4 Stroke for my Lund boat.

P

pippinwhitepaws

you might take up the refinery suggestions...do not expect a pawn shop to do anything but rip you off.

the stones should be removed if you are just selling for scrap...
selling loose stones is a pain...you have to wrap them separately to keep them from damaging each other....hope the person you are dealing with is honest.

i have had great luck selling to jewelers who create their own jewelry.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
most stone in jewelry that is going to be scraped are garbage anyway, or dammaged after years of use etc.
Some Refineries, Like mine, after disolving the gold away from the stones just dump them though a sifter. Anything larger than 2pts is saved. the rest just gets melted and processed and burned off with the silver chlorides and ends up in the flux...basicly worth less in the first place.

The times that true gems do come in. Of course save them. And sell them off on Ebay or to a custom gold smith/jeweler.
Dont expect to get much, Just take what people offer and be glad for it Is my advise. They have kids in India Chained to Benches pumping out new stuff for less than 20 cents a piece all day long. And it keeps comming, and will never stop.

If you have a lot of stones and they are larger, and there is a local community college or high schools with jewelry making programs. Put em in a tackle box with prices of a couple bucks a piece, and collect at the end of the semester. You can make some seriouse side bank selling off what otherwise would never sell as ART. a couple bucks a piece adds up quick, and students learning how to set stones break them frequently.
And its a valuble service for students who otherwise have no connections for such things.
Over 95% of the Cut stones out there are lose. And will never be set. And a good chunk after scrapping hits the secondary market.

And on a side note. Dealing with midwest is a Rip. The assays seem to always come in low. And it seems the people on this site that pimp for them probably work for them. The two assays I have seen for scrap seem rather low. yet the same couple people keeps pushing them...hmm, coincidence?
I buy at 98% and charge no refining fees. And can turn junk gold into coins. Yes we have mint. www.moonlightmint.com

Often I turn peopels gold junk into saleable Bullion that they can hang on to, and or sell for a premium down the raod. No one else does this. They simply trade out for what they may have.

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I NEVER SELL MY JUNK GOLD!

Attachments

• gold-purchase.jpg
    gold-purchase.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 7,535
C

Cappy Z.

If any of you have stones you want to sell..post them here and let me have a chance at bidding.

Thanks.

rvdsr

Greenie
Dec 19, 2004
sebastian.florida
Detector(s) used
X-cal & 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold a lot of ring & jewelery items at flea mrk.& yard sales..Its usually the person you less exspect to buy them.Also theres a lot of rock & gem clubs out here that have there own schools on making jewelery.. :notworthy:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
you might take up the refinery suggestions...do not expect a pawn shop to do anything but rip you off.
Pawn brokers are pretty entertaining. Have you seen the new reality show Pawn Stars on the history channel. Entertaining to a point, but then I see how they operate. The people who come in to sell their "junk" are mostly characters too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread