Selling price for 40% Halves

eastbaybounty

Mar 9, 2008
I am wondering the same thing. And also, where is the best place to sell? And should I sell by the roll or what? Thanks for any input!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not been selling, only buying. Looks like Ebay trades at around $40 a roll for 40's. Local dealer is paying 7.5 X face, or approx $1.50 ea. (More $$ for larger quanties.)
Another local dealer has a flyer in the newspaper here, has advertised paying $5 or more for '64 or earlier US half dollars, for most of this year. Good luck, AMC

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Well let's see. as of today, silver melt on 40%ers is $1.49. What would be a fair price for your silver ? are we talking 100 pcs, 300pcs,how many. I would be interested in all of it. Please let me know how many and I will make you an offer. Thanks, Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I've got three rolls of 40% left to unload if anyone wants'em. Also got $2.50 in 90% kens, $6.50 in bens, and $5.50 in walks (none smoothed/grinded down). As well as a roll of dimes, mostly roosies but a couple 5-ish? mercs thrown in. Taking all offers. ;)

~Dave

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I checked out that nucleo direct, and would reccommend it to everybody else. They also have a graph showing what each item is/was selling for in the last 3 months. Looks like you will have to wait at least a week to get paid but as mentioned above it is hard to beat the 1% commission.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
It really depends on quantity. Most local dealers will not pay even close to melt for small quantities of 40% even in this market.
What I have found gets the best price is making up $1000 bags. In the past I was able to piggy back my small amount into a larger bag. In other words I had $300 in 40% and the buy price of the bag was $3400. I received 30% or $1020. This was much better than trying to sell it by itself.

Again, this was just once in a point in time and the spreads change daily on the bags. So DYODD.

65GT350

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packfan_1982 said:
Looks like you will have to wait at least a week to get paid but as mentioned above it is hard to beat the 1% commission.

yeah, The first deal i did took nearly three weeks. A few days to get the coin to them, a few days for the buyer to pay them, then a few more for them to write the check and a good week before they mailed it.
the second deal I mailed the coin on Friday, they checked it in on Monday and I requested wire transfer Tuesday and it was in my bank account Wednesday. Well worth the $15 fee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread