Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are my non scientific formulas:

Disclaimer: I ONLY do this as a hobby. This is not my business just something I do for fun on the weekends.

Most items that sell for under $5 and box lots: Pass unless it is practically free. Even then, if it takes up a lot of space or if it will be extremely hard to sell at any price then I would pass up stuff like this even if it was free.

For cheap items under $12: At least triple my cost unless it is something that is extremely liquid. 1/3 of price is for cost, 1/3 of price is for overhead and tieing up your money in less liquid items, 1/3 of price is for profit. Sell this stuff at the flea market, craigslist, or local auctions. This is the stuff you buy for $1 and sell for $5, etc. Small hand tools, trinkets, post cards, common records, costume jewelry to name a few. Most items fall into this category and can be found almost anywhere.

For items around $15-25: Typically double/triple my money using the same methods as above, just less profit (similar profit margin as above). Vintage, decorative items, DVD box sets, electronics, fishing stuff, etc. Sell less volume but make the same amount.

For items $30+: Typically sell these on ebay if they are easy to ship. For items that fall into this category, I am typically looking for a much higher profit margin. For example, buy for $30, sell for $100... etc. Higher cost, higher overhead, time consuming, potential headaches, etc. Designer jewelry, most quality vintage and antique items, certain video games, certain records, certain collectible items in mint condition, promotional items from small localities, etc. A lot of people focus on this category because this is where the most money can be made. In my opinion, this is almost a full time job by itself so I am very particular about what I buy for resale on ebay (not to mention the high potential for headaches).

For extremely liquid items: This would be items like coins, PMs, extremely popular items, very rare items, etc. I am willing to pick these up for slightly below market value for a quick flip. Typically these are worst case scenario - you get your money back. Usually you can make slightly over market value if you know what you are doing. Sometimes, you get lucky and make some decent money doing this. This category would be best suited for cherry picking in your area of expertise where knowledge is the edge you need. I have only lost money on this type of item a few times and it was never very much and usually due to some stupid mistake on my part. Coins in better condition than their cost, varieties of coins, proofs and key date ASEs, PMs at under melt price, "popular" vintage items that sell better on ebay than in a b&m, items that have a niche market, etc. Sometimes I buy items like this as an investment.

Note: I have heard people say that they only want to achieve a certain profit margin on anything they sell. If you are buying an item for $10 and selling for a 10% profit regardless of how much it is worth, then you are doing it wrong in my humble opinion. Unless you are a retail store with fairly fixed costs and a stable inventory, then you should be maximizing your profit potential on every single sale individually.
If an item costs you $10 but you can sell it for $100, then take the $100 every time! Why settle for 10% profit in this scenario?

Hope this helps. I was hoping to have a decent discussion about this so please feel free to throw in your opinion.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I won't touch an item I'm going to sell on ebay unless there is a minimum $20 profit after all expenses. At that level I have to be 99% sure the item will sell easily. My profit margin as a percentage varies a good bit. I'm happiest when I get an item for 50 cents & sell it for a $20 profit. In general I won't buy unless I'm reasonably certain I can double my money on ebay.

I buy a lot of sterling and/or gold. Like everyone else I love to find an item at a sale for 50 cents that I can sell for $300. However, I'm willing to work on a 10-15% margin if the numbers are big enough. That may sound too low, but if I can buy $1000 worth, drive it across town or mail it to my refiner & make $100-150 I'm all over it. If I had my way I'd do a dozen of those deals on Monday & take the rest of the week off.

I've got a small display case at the local antique mall. I like to average a sale price of 2.5-3.5 times cost. That generates enough profit to pay rent & my time.

When I buy an entire estate I'm looking to pay 25-35% of what I believe I can sell for. There is a lot of labor involved, plus storage & resale costs.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't touch an item I'm going to sell on ebay unless there is a minimum $20 profit after all expenses. At that level I have to be 99% sure the item will sell easily. My profit margin as a percentage varies a good bit. I'm happiest when I get an item for 50 cents & sell it for a $20 profit. In general I won't buy unless I'm reasonably certain I can double my money on ebay.

I buy a lot of sterling and/or gold. Like everyone else I love to find an item at a sale for 50 cents that I can sell for $300. However, I'm willing to work on a 10-15% margin if the numbers are big enough. That may sound too low, but if I can buy $1000 worth, drive it across town or mail it to my refiner & make $100-150 I'm all over it. If I had my way I'd do a dozen of those deals on Monday & take the rest of the week off.

I've got a small display case at the local antique mall. I like to average a sale price of 2.5-3.5 times cost. That generates enough profit to pay rent & my time.

When I buy an entire estate I'm looking to pay 25-35% of what I believe I can sell for. There is a lot of labor involved, plus storage & resale costs.

I have considered (and am still) renting a booth or cabinet at an antique center. No matter how I slice it, the overhead factor just kills any profit to be made.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I pay $60/month for the display case I have had for almost 3 years. I'm about a 5 minute drive from the antique mall & stop in once a week to shop anyway. They post sales on the web so it's easy to know when I need to take a few things to refill the case. The few months I had it the 1st year I averaged $300/month in sales, the 2nd full year I sold $14,000, last year I sold $7500 & this year I'm averaging $450/month. I'll probably end up this year around the $7500 I sold last year with the jump in sales around Xmas. That should be good for $3500-4500 profit. That doesn't count the money I make from buying items at the mall to resell elsewhere or the business I have developed buying directly from other dealers.

I have signs stating I buy with my phone number prominently displayed in my case. I was trying to generate more business when I 1st got the case & looked at it as an advertising expense. The signs are still there but I could count on one hand the number of times I have been contacted. IMO the most important thing to remember about having a locked display case is that customers will not get a clerk to open a case unless it's the only item of that type in the store.....or the item is priced cheaper than it's available on the floor.

I have considered getting a booth. I've run the numbers a bunch of times & can't seem to make them worth the hassle. The size of my inventory would have to more than triple & I'd have to get into furniture. Besides being heavy that's a highly competitive market around here.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I pay $60/month for the display case I have had for almost 3 years. I'm about a 5 minute drive from the antique mall & stop in once a week to shop anyway. They post sales on the web so it's easy to know when I need to take a few things to refill the case. The few months I had it the 1st year I averaged $300/month in sales, the 2nd full year I sold $14,000, last year I sold $7500 & this year I'm averaging $450/month. I'll probably end up this year around the $7500 I sold last year with the jump in sales around Xmas. That should be good for $3500-4500 profit. That doesn't count the money I make from buying items at the mall to resell elsewhere or the business I have developed buying directly from other dealers.

I have signs stating I buy with my phone number prominently displayed in my case. I was trying to generate more business when I 1st got the case & looked at it as an advertising expense. The signs are still there but I could count on one hand the number of times I have been contacted. IMO the most important thing to remember about having a locked display case is that customers will not get a clerk to open a case unless it's the only item of that type in the store.....or the item is priced cheaper than it's available on the floor.

I have considered getting a booth. I've run the numbers a bunch of times & can't seem to make them worth the hassle. The size of my inventory would have to more than triple & I'd have to get into furniture. Besides being heavy that's a highly competitive market around here.

See that changes everything. The places I have considered were charging $300+ per month for a large glass case/cabinet.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't touch an item I'm going to sell on ebay unless there is a minimum $20 profit after all expenses.

I wholeheartedly agree, this is pretty much my exact strategy. I let it slide a little if I get something for free or 50 cents and sell it for 10 or 15, but my goal with most everything is to make at least $20, that way I'm making at least $10 an hour between hunting, photographing, measuring, listing, packing, and shipping.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to stick with money maker type items but I guess I got it bad. I find myself buying way more than I could ever, ever sell. I can't resist a good bargain or a vintage item for .50 or a dollar. I'll let you all in on a little secret, there was a time in my life when all I owned were the clothes on my back (and in my backpack), no home, sleeping on other peoples couches. Once upon a time, I had to sell everything I owned to eat. Even donated plasma for the same. In short, I know what it's like to be down and out. Now that I have a little extra, I think i'm trying to compensate for that rough time in my life when I had nothing. Also, I look at it as... if by chance one day I am broke with no work, then I can always set up shop at the flea market and make some bucks, as well as the ebay, craigslist route. One never knows what the future may hold.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
See that changes everything. The places I have considered were charging $300+ per month for a large glass case/cabinet.

Wow. I get a 7' tall, 30" wide by 14" deep locked lighted case with 1 fixed & 5 adjustable shelves for $60. For $80 you can get one that's the same height with 5 adjustable shelves that are about 36" wide by 30" deep. I can get a 10'x10' space for $235. There is no commission on sales & the mall handles sales tax.

Probably 60% of what I sell is coins and jewelry. That only takes up 2 of my shelves. The rest I fill with odds & ends from lots and/or stuff I don't want to list on ebay.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. I get a 7' tall, 30" wide by 14" deep locked lighted case with 1 fixed & 5 adjustable shelves for $60. For $80 you can get one that's the same height with 5 adjustable shelves that are about 36" wide by 30" deep. I can get a 10'x10' space for $235. There is no commission on sales & the mall handles sales tax.

Probably 60% of what I sell is coins and jewelry. That only takes up 2 of my shelves. The rest I fill with odds & ends from lots and/or stuff I don't want to list on ebay.

I would be all over a deal like that! You are lucky.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell things for as little as $2 profit because everything I sell is small, and I can list a lot per week. In the end it all adds up. Plus those little add to the traffic which does increase over all sales quite a bit.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I sell things for as little as $2 profit because everything I sell is small, and I can list a lot per week. In the end it all adds up. Plus those little add to the traffic which does increase over all sales quite a bit.

I could see that if I could list an item quick enough to justify it. I don't list enough volume to have worked out a quick enough way of listing to make low profit items worth the time.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how many photos do you use in your listings? Because that is what takes me sooo long to do. Taking them, downloading them, editing them, uploading them. Very time consuming.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how many photos do you use in your listings? Because that is what takes me sooo long to do. Taking them, downloading them, editing them, uploading them. Very time consuming.

For auctions typically 1 or 2. I sell a lot of coins and it is taking the pics that takes so much time. Listing them I can do about 1 per minute.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Ill sell whatever. I try to make atleast $10/ item on smalls. Larger things $30-50. I bought alot of half dollars at 7 I've been selling for $13. Love the quarter items to gain profits on too. I usually do two to three pictures per item. Sometimes more. I sell about 100-120 items per month.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For auctions typically 1 or 2. I sell a lot of coins and it is taking the pics that takes so much time. Listing them I can do about 1 per minute.
Okay that makes sense. Coins only require a couple and not much of a description since you aren't allowed you mention condition on ungraded coins. It take me all day to list 20-30 items, if i'm lucky. Maybe less is more, depends on what your selling I guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay that makes sense. Coins only require a couple and not much of a description since you aren't allowed you mention condition on ungraded coins. It take me all day to list 20-30 items, if i'm lucky. Maybe less is more, depends on what your selling I guess.

Yes, does depend greatly on the items you sell. This makes me think of the people selling big piles of used clothing in one auction and showing pictures of everything. I just couldn't imagine putting in such an effort for one sale when my equivalent sales to make the same money would probably just take a matter of a few minutes. But I guess you do what you gotta do the best way you know how.

The most I've ever got on in a 24 hour period was somewhere around 300 listings, and the most I've done in a week was about 650-700 or so. A lot of work to get them on, but fun seeing over 650 tick off! I've always been a go big type when it came to selling, but doing such big weekends starts to burn me out so when I get serious again I'll most likely spread things over over the week.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell nothing under $10. Sell from $10 to $25 if I pay $1 OR $2. I'll go up to $5 if I think I will get $50. Things that will sell over $50, I will pay up to 1/4 of that I expect. I did recently pick up about 50 Printer Cartridges for $750. I sold $1500 in 4 days. I still have about 25 or 30 to sell (They should sell for a lot less, so I will clear $2500 on the deal, but not much more). That's a bit under 25%, but Toner MOVES! if you price under the market.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look for 1 thing that will pay for everything else I purchase as well as the entire trip. My minimum profit margin is 100% but my normal is 500%-1000%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread