sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*WARNING* For all of you coin purists who cringe at the mere thought of the words "cleaning" and "coin" in the same paragraph, then continue reading at your own risk. I will forewarn you now, I did clean this coin. In fact, I cleaned the heck out of it.

So a few weeks ago I was online and looking through some older, historic photos of a few of the surrounding towns. I ran across a picture of a two story hotel that stood at the turn of the century. It has long since burned down but the property it was once on now belongs to the county and is currently undeveloped. I decided to take a little drive out of town to see what I could find at this site.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered this was one of the most iron infested sites that I have hunted in a long time. I had to use the TTF function on the E-trac and slow my swing speed to a snail's pace. On top of that, about half of the site had foot high weeds that made swinging that much more difficult.

I ended up getting a consistent 12-44 signal that showed to be at about three inches. I figured it was just a penny but I don't like to skip over good solid signals so I started to dig. The ground was so hard that it was darn near the density of cement. It took me literally three or four minutes to chip away at the dirt to the point where the rim of the coin was barely visible. It was dark in color which confirmed to me that it was indeed a penny. I continued to jab away at the dirt around the coin and was eventually able to pry it out. As I wiped the dirt off of it, I suddenly noticed a bright silver scratch in it. It was about this time that I realized that it was a bit smaller than a penny and had a reeded edge. When I rinsed it off I found that it was an 1896 Barber dime with a San Francisco mint Mark. This dime has the second lowest mintage of Barber dimes, only behind the 1895-O.

After I got home and looked at it for a bit I made the decision to clean it. Yes, I know that devalues it, but it already had a gash in it anyway. Furthermore, I have never sold any of my detecting finds. I didn't particularly care if I took some of the monetary value from it since I will never sell it. I enjoy my collection of finds and sharing it with others. This coin is a nice addition, but it was just plain ugly. It was so dark and crusted over that it was nearly unrecognizable as a Barber dime. In my opinion, I'd rather have a cleaned and devalued coin than a black disk with a gash in it.

I didn't take a picture of the coin before I started to clean it, but here it is after I got some of the crud off of it. The black around the edges is the stuff that had covered the entire coin.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916499.854440.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916520.169387.jpg

Here it is after I got it all cleaned up.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916557.491550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916570.458130.jpg

At this point it was too clean, so I artificially toned it to bring it back to a bit more natural looking state. I'm now pleased with how it looks.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916606.744928.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476916618.878687.jpg

Oh, at that site I also ended up pulling out two wheats, a 1942 Mercury dime that had been through a fire, and a couple of other odds and ends.

Upvote 13

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good going on the barber and good clean up job...unless the coin is a key date odds are coming out of the ground most silvers are pretty much worth melt value.

Regards + HH

Bill

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going on the barber and good clean up job...unless the coin is a key date odds are coming out of the ground most silvers are pretty much worth melt value.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill

If you didn't notice , it is a key date with a value of over $500 in au55 grade

Super clean job. And great find!!!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a fantastic barber dime! It's too bad it was so crusty, but I think you did a great job of cleaning and re-toning. I think I would have done the same. How did you artificially tone it?

A few years ago I found a key date dime 1903s. Luckily it was near mint when it came out of the ground and needed no cleaning.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks wonderful. Not for nothing, but...how would someone know you'd cleaned it anyway? Do they take out a loupe and look for signs on cleaning chemicals?? It looks natural. Congrats. ~Lisa & John

Chowe05

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Wow looks great! Congrats on that... I miss the Central Valley and the small town feel out there.... I got left alone while out there compared to the big city.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks wonderful. Not for nothing, but...how would someone know you'd cleaned it anyway? Do they take out a loupe and look for signs on cleaning chemicals?? It looks natural. Congrats. ~Lisa & John

Forget the loop. To get graded it would be looked at under a microscope. You would see all the scratching and swirls from cleaning it

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet coin.
What some people don't seem to understand is that the monetary value and the grading of a coin is sometimes determined by the findings of a professional grading companies.
When a coin is graded and encapsulated and then tagged with the label , "Environmentally Damaged",, (E.D.), the book value or price realized at auction is set.
You can have a coin that appears to have been dropped the day it was minted. Now it is graded AU58 / Environmentally Damaged. However, because of the label, (E.D.), it may only realize 10% of the listed price in The Red Book. In other words, lets say you have "a non dug" rare coin that is listed in Yeoman's Red Book for $40,000. That same rare coin that has "been dug" will be labeled environmentally damaged may sell at auction for $4,000. Most coins that we dig don't go for that kind of money but using the formula that is applied to a "Dug Coin" makes a $100 coin,, worth $10. Cleaning or not cleaning a "Dug Coin" is not what determines the value of an Environmentally Damaged Coin although it will cause a coin submitted for grading to be tagged, "Cleaned"
Congrats on some really good finds.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and excellent preservation! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin you enjoy it its your coin to do with what you want Thanks for sharing!!!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep. You found it, you can do what you want with it. If you don't care that you hurt it's value, that is your right.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a fantastic barber dime! It's too bad it was so crusty, but I think you did a great job of cleaning and re-toning. I think I would have done the same. How did you artificially tone it?

A few years ago I found a key date dime 1903s. Luckily it was near mint when it came out of the ground and needed no cleaning.

Thank you. I used the boiled egg method to tone it. I boiled an egg and then took it straight from the pot and put it in a ziplock bag. I then smashed it up, shell and all. Then I folded a small piece of paper towel around the coin and put it in the bag ensuring that it wasn't touching the egg. The sulphur in the warm egg reacts with the silver, darkening it.

After about an hour and a half I removed the coin and this is what it looked like.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476946960.844345.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476946974.259887.jpg

I then sprinkled a pinch of baking soda on each side and VERY lightly rubbed it until I got to the desired color. This was the first time I tried to artificially tone a coin and found this method to be quite easy and effective.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For someone who knows anything about grading coins (and I don't) I'm sure it would be very easy to tell with a bit of magnification. There would be fine scratches from the cleaning and the toning would be way off from anything natural.

But just by generally looking at the coin with an untrained eye like mine, it came out the way I wanted it.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow looks great! Congrats on that... I miss the Central Valley and the small town feel out there.... I got left alone while out there compared to the big city.

Well Fresno has over a half a million people now so its not too small! We are still about 15 years behind the times though so we haven't caught up to the big city mentality yet.

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. I used the boiled egg method to tone it. I boiled an egg and then took it straight from the pot and put it in a ziplock bag. I then smashed it up, shell and all. Then I folded a small piece of paper towel around the coin and put it in the bag ensuring that it wasn't touching the egg. The sulphur in the warm egg reacts with the silver, darkening it.

After about an hour and a half I removed the coin and this is what it looked like.

View attachment 1372453
View attachment 1372454

I then sprinkled a pinch of baking soda on each side and VERY lightly rubbed it until I got to the desired color. This was the first time I tried to artificially tone a coin and found this method to be quite easy and effective.
I am very impressed with the coin and how you toned it

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turbo21,

I didn't check the catalogue on the coin..lol.....in any event regardless of the cleaning method odds are the environmental damage would have shown up under a
microscope cleaning coins is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios.

The only other option would have been to have it professionally cleaned to minimize the scratching and not sure what the cost would be for that procedure.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill

If you didn't notice , it is a key date with a value of over $500 in au55 grade

Super clean job. And great find!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread