Semi Key Date Pocket Spill

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Hi,

Hunted an old yard at a mansion that has been converted to an assisted living facility. First few passes through the yard were sterile. No signal even remotely diggable. Thought I was S.O.L. in a hunted out yard. Then I hit a weird signal saying 65-70 VDI one way but 50ish the other. It was spotty and not a very solid sounding signal. It said 4". I figured what the hell since I hadn't dug anything yet anyway. I dug down and was surprised to see a penny sized coin. Rubbed it a little and saw that it was a 1909 IH. I put it in my pocket and started praying for an "S" on the back. Hit the hole again and heard another penny signal. Pulled 2 wheats: 1915S and 1912D. Continued working the yard and had a little more hope. Made a few more sterile passes before hitting a 3" signal with a spotty 10 VDI. Anyone with a Whites machine knows that this is in the foil range. I dug down about 5" and started expecting some trash. Then I noticed a coin sticking out of the dirt in the bottom of the hole. Turned out to be an 1893 V nickel. By this time, I figured I was digging anything that made a peep. I found the button at 4" with a solid 0 VDI both directions it says "PAT JUNE 1895 SULTAN NO 1". So far, I'd only hunted about half the front yard with much more to go. I spent another hour or so and only found clad and junk.

I went to another yard and found the 1918S and 1919S wheats as well as the no date Buff, '45D Merc, lid to a match safe and buckle. My brother joined me and found 3 IHs, a few wheats, a '51 rosie and a gold wedding band (turned out to be gold plated).

Got home and cleaned the coins in some peroxide. No "S" on the 1909. The '15S is in great shape though.

Anyway, it was a good day. What do you think the '15S grades?

Thanks for looking, HH

Evan

Attachments

• PICT0134.JPG
    PICT0134.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 753
  • PICT0136.JPG
    PICT0136.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 753
Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! That 1915-s may go Ex. Fine in my opinion, also a decent date for a V-Nickel. All-in-all a nice group of coins from good ground.

Steve

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your research and tenacity paid off. Good unting

SKD

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
man what a great day. were you solid bars on your meter?

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Those are some sweet coins! Makes me want to open up my discrim to accept some lower VDI's.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes...The V Nice came out lookin good. Sorry about the IHP, but still one beautiful coin. Congrats on all your finds.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on your finds!!!

I am at work, I don't have my red book with me, but this is from the PCGS web site:

Description 4 12 40
1915-S BN $20 $32 $72

The red book will be lower, but it still can give you an aproximate value.

Congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
silverfreak said:
Nice digs buddy. That's a sweet pocket spill. :thumbsup:

Thanks Silverfreak

Goldiver said:
Nice work! That 1915-s may go Ex. Fine in my opinion, also a decent date for a V-Nickel. All-in-all a nice group of coins from good ground.

Steve

Thanks Steve

SoreKneesDayton said:
Sounds like your research and tenacity paid off. Good unting

SKD

Thanks, Yeah door knocking has paid off recently. I'm on a streak of getting permission to hunt yards in town.

dugdigger said:
man what a great day. were you solid bars on your meter?

Thanks for the reply. The pennies were were bouncing between 1/2 and full bars. The nickel was 1/2. I don't know if the different ground conditions throw off the machine or if there was some iron nearby. Sometimes I'll dig a penny at 6-7 inches with a solid signal and full bars and sometimes it'll be shallower with a iffy signal. If I'm on good ground, I'll dig everything.

Burdie said:
Those coins are in great shape. Congrats on the finds.

Burdie

Thanks

litefire56 said:
Those are some sweet coins! Makes me want to open up my discrim to accept some lower VDI's.

Yeah, the VDI isn't very trustworthy. Even the Merc that I found was giving a nickel signal one way and pulltab the other.

wyattrr said:
Holy Smokes...The V Nice came out lookin good. Sorry about the IHP, but still one beautiful coin. Congrats on all your finds.

Thanks, With all the S mintmarks I find here, I had my hopes up, but maybe next time.

Bardok said:
Nice finds hope to hit one of those spills some time :thumbsup:

Thanks

tymcmurray said:
Wow!!! Spectacular yard. Have fun with the rest of it.

Thanks, yeah I'll probably go back and hit it with a fine tooth comb.

kimsdad said:
Nice finds! Looks like you'll be digging all those numbers now. I know I will now that I saw this post.

Thanks.

wildrider said:
Alright...great stuff!

Thanks.

TreasureFiend said:
I am at work, I don't have my red book with me, but this is from the PCGS web site:

Description 4 12 40
1915-S BN $20 $32 $72

The red book will be lower, but it still can give you an aproximate value.

Congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I only have a '95 blackbook.

Bartman said:
Nice finds. Great group of semi keys you got there. I was really hoping that indian had an "S".

Thanks

crazyjarhead said:
Great bunch of coins you found. Maybe there is more :thumbsup:

I hope so. Thanks for the reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread