gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key Date Find!

So I hit my local honey hole today and found my first V Nickel! It turns out that it is a key date! Do you think I should clean it or just leave it as is? Also, if I should clean it what is the best method?

IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0524.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually a full on Key Date - My two year old "redbook" has it listed at $275. in good condition . Might be worth sending out for "conservation" to P.C.G.S. or N.G.C.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find! With that much value, I would never touch it. Send it out to experts, or save it, as is.
Jim

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice coin! check out ebay completed auction history for a rough value. Beware those throwing out Redbook prices as that's not even close to accurate. Redbook is full retail for non-dug, problem-free coins. The coins we find are dug, with environmental damage.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dug that coin I would consult a professional grading company and seek their advice. I don't think I have ever had to worry about coins with that kind of "value" or scarcity. I probably violate the rules scrubbing coins with my toothpaste and toothbrush. Even the silver ones !!! I would not do anything to your key date coin until someone in the know guided me as to what to do. Regardless, that flippin' V ROCKS !!!

OP
OP
G

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It's definitely one of my favorite finds. I almost didn't dig it since the signal was very iffy. Of course after I found it, I started digging all kinds of iffy signals for the rest of that hunt. :dontknow:

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it is $30. If cleaned right maybe more. Lots of cleaning methods on google and u- tube. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread