Sending in dug coppers...your experience?

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wondering what everyone’s experiences have been sending in old coppers dug metal detecting to a grading company for either cleaning or grading or both.

I have a fugio and nova that are not worth the money to send in, but i was considering for my own happiness. My first old finds that have great significance in coinage history means something to me that I dug them, and wanted to protect for viewing, and correctly label them.

Thanks for the replies!
HH

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all grading/preserving companies are the same. IMO, PCGS is the best, NGC, second, and ANACS a distant third. I don't like any of the others. Most dug copper (ones with any corrosion on them) will come back with a details grade and a notation that the coin is corroded. If the coin isn't something I want to sell online or isn't worth more than what the encapsulation cost will add to it's value, I'd rather just do the cleaning, preserving, and hard casing on my own. If you choose to do it, PCGS does a good job of it and would be the company I would use.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent one with a clear date and little pitting. It came back ungraded and marked Genuine environmental damage - waste of money on dug coins. I sent it to PCGS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all grading/preserving companies are the same. IMO, PCGS is the best, NGC, second, and ANACS a distant third. I don't like any of the others. Most dug copper (ones with any corrosion on them) will come back with a details grade and a notation that the coin is corroded. If the coin isn't something I want to sell online or isn't worth more than what the encapsulation cost will add to it's value, I'd rather just do the cleaning, preserving, and hard casing on my own. If you choose to do it, PCGS does a good job of it and would be the company I would use.

Thank you for your information!

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent one with a clear date and little pitting. It came back ungraded and marked Genuine environmental damage - waste of money on dug coins.

Thank you. I understand the logic behind it not being worth it on nearly all occasions. And good information for my future dug coins that show any type of damage. The coins i mentioned are different having special meaning just to me, so even saying genuine environmental damage on these coins would be ok.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To Slab or not to Slab

To slab or not to slab... That is the question. I recently got a few of my finds back from NGC. Out of 7 coins submitted only one came back not suitable for encapsulation. That one is the best out of the 7 coins. My mistake was not conserving it and thinking it was a dime. It's a half dime. An 1803 small 8 LM-1. The early dimes and half dimes (H10) were not marked and it seemed like a worn dime to me.What do I know I just dig them up! They are a little hard to find to say the least. I believe that there are about 25-30 thought to have survived.I'm sending it back to NCG this week for a little conservation. I slabbed some of my better finds but still have more to do. I submitted the coins in person at a coin show in Sarasota Florida but you can just mail them in with the membership. It was simple and didn't cost that much. I paid for the $150.00 membership that gives you $150.00 credit towards grading fees plus more. He are a few of my dug coins:

Attachments

• 94 half cent.jpg
    94 half cent.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 94 half cent obv.jpg
    94 half cent obv.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 94 cap3.jpg
    94 cap3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 94cap 3 obv.jpg
    94cap 3 obv.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 94cap7.jpg
    94cap7.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 70
  • H10 obv.jpg
    H10 obv.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 61
  • H10 rev.jpg
    H10 rev.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To slab or not to slab... That is the question. I recently got a few of my finds back from NGC. Out of 7 coins submitted only one came back not suitable for encapsulation. That one is the best out of the 7 coins. My mistake was not conserving it and thinking it was a dime. It's a half dime. An 1803 small 8 LM-1. The early dimes and half dimes (H10) were not marked and it seemed like a worn dime to me.What do I know I just dig them up! They are a little hard to find to say the least. I believe that there are about 25-30 thought to have survived.I'm sending it back to NCG this week for a little conservation. I slabbed some of my better finds but still have more to do. I submitted the coins in person at a coin show in Sarasota Florida but you can just mail them in with the membership. It was simple and didn't cost that much. I paid for the $150.00 membership that gives you $150.00 credit towards grading fees plus more. He are a few of my dug coins:

Thank you for sharing your experiences and the pictures help alot as well. Cool finds btw!! Awesome half dime, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread