separating the fine gold from black sand ?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even with jetdry I can see nano gold float away out of my pan. Well looks like it does?
I have to do a better job at classifying thanks guys!

If what you are seeing is suspended IN the water and not necessarily floating on the surface it is definitely not gold. Floating gold does just that; it floats, on the surface. It will immediately drop all the way to the bottom once it breaks the surface tension (it will NOT suspend in the water no matter how much it is agitated). Mica particles or some similar reflective mineral of low specific gravity is probably what you are seeing based on your description.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Even with jetdry I can see nano gold float away out of my pan. Well looks like it does?
I have to do a better job at classifying thanks guys!

A nano particle is measured as 0.0000039370078740157 of an inch. 1/64" = 0.015625"; 1/1000" = 0.001"
#400 mesh is 0.0015"

Are you SURE you can see nano gold floating out of your pan??

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KCM,I'm using~ "Nano" as a figure of speech for descriptive sizing only.
Lay Mans terms .... Teeny tiny gold that is visible to the naked eye.
I don't have microscopic vision , well ...not anymore!

OP
OP
H-2 CHARLIE

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet work well got almost all of it but now I need a pencil head eraser magnet to dip in my big glass vial to get the lat specks out .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The magnet work well got almost all of it but now I need a pencil head eraser magnet to dip in my big glass vial to get the lat specks out .

Just hold a bigger magnet against the side of the vial and slide it up...the iron sands will walk right up the side of the vial and out!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can also hold a magnet to a larger nail, then use the nail tip to pick up small sinters and bits. The closer the magnet is to the nail tip, the stronger the pull.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
CLASSIFY!!!!! If everything in your pan is the same SIZE, GOLD RULES (TM Mike Pung, the gold cube man)

simple as that, its a weight/density game.. A blue bowl isn't going to help you, neither is a miller table.. For those to work properly, you need to classify, and once you do that, its really easy to pan..

I went smaller than this pic, but the camera wouldn't pick it up. .0025" to .004", about the width of a human hair. Squeeky clean, in a pan... The writing on the paper,
standard ball point pen.
19901564351_874fc79d8c_c.jpg

Is .0025-.004" considered fine/flour?

If its not, the +400/-250 was even better... Squeeky clean with an easy panning, but the darn camera couldn't pick it up well.. And at that point you are pretty much
below what your naked eye can see...

Pick your device.. Table/blue bowl/wheel/pan..... If its relying on mechanical seperation, classification is the key.

As these devices use water gravity separation classification is required. However, my table uses mechanical separation and classification is not really required to catch pure 300 mesh gold. Using 1/4" classification or even 1" rocks one can readily catch all of the 300 mesh gold. This is because my table(wave table) is not a water gravity separator but a specific gravity separator. Particles are not separated by size or weight just specific gravity. That is why small cobbles run off the table whereas 300 mesh gold particles move up the table. The fly in the ointment is that bigger particles being ejected from the table can push small gold particles off of the table. 300 mesh gold is not affected by this as they rapidly sink to the very bottom but coarser gold can.
The trick is to develop a specific gravity separator that will prevent gold particles from being pushed off the table by larger particles. If one could figure out a way to do this it would be the ultimate separator of the future.
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread