separating

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i was just wondering, i have a bunch of brass stuff to be sold to the recyclers but ive never sold brass before so im not sure how to do it. i am wondering if i need to separate the items into groups so they can easily check to make sure its all real brass etc., because the brass i have includes : keys, plug prongs, candle holders, brass screws, pieces to lamps, and other various items. so, do they have a machine they run it thru that tells if its all real, or do they have to look at each item to make sure its real?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought much about separating before,but the other day I was at the scrap yard selling some cans and there was this old guy in front of me with 5,5gallon buckets of screws,he tells me he's been scrapping for years and everything has a place in his garage,screws,bolts,nuts,etc.... :dontknow:

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
I never thought much about separating before,but the other day I was at the scrap yard selling some cans and there was this old guy in front of me with 5,5gallon buckets of screws,he tells me he's been scrapping for years and everything has a place in his garage,screws,bolts,nuts,etc.... :dontknow:
I do basically the same thing. I have several 5 gallon buckets (brass, alum, #1 copper, #2 copper, lead, etc). Helps keep it organized. Chainchomp - the only thing you have to be concerned with on brass is candlesticks, figurines, etc that might be brass plated. Just use a magnet, if it attracts then it is plated, if not, then throw it in with all the other brass.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHAINCHOMP said:
i am wondering if i need to separate the items into groups
where I recycle they have an attendant that come to your car and separates everything and checks for iron in the brass. (any time you get a bucket, bowl or plate that you know is brass take a magnet to the rim. Many times it is reinforced with a steel rod)

I have no choice, they have to sort for everyone. They are fast and pay pretty good. I always leave with more money than I expect.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
some lamp parts are considered cast material or zinc. If it's big and heavy with a rainbow look on the inside of the lamp ... it's not brass. It is worth a lot less money. Probably .30-.40 per pound.

happy hunting
Rumblebelly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread