Serious American History!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of our yearly vacations this year was spent in the Low Country of South Carolina. We certainly are blessed to be able to travel and see the wonderful history our Country and other what Country's have to offer historically.

This may be my personal favorite. As soon as you enter the historical Church you get a very odd feeling as if your back in time. I cannot explain the feeling you get but, it's amazing! You MUST see this place.
The owner has Cameras set up for proof to prosecute you if caught "over the fence". $25,000 plus to get out now a days after lawyer fees and impounds. Bad detectorist's have done it in the past but, they are putting them in jail now. So, don't think about it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This church is located between the towns of Yemassee and Beaufort on the Old Sheldon Church Road.

Prince Williams Parish Church (Sheldon) was built between 1745 and 1755 on land donated by Edmund Bellinger. The name Sheldon was used to honor the Bull Family who had a plantation nearby and thier ancestral home in Warwickshire, England were called Sheldon Hall.

Arms and ammunition were hidden in the Bull family vault during the American Revolution, and Continental troops drilled on the church grounds. Sheldon Church was burned by Genereal Augustine Prevost's British troops in May 1779.

The church was rebuilt in 1826 and was given the name of Sheldon Church of Prince William's Parish. Shermans 15th corps under General John Logan burned Sheldon Church on Jan. 14, 1865. This was considered part of Sherman's "march from the sea" as he crossed South Carolina from Savannah..

The church was never rebuilt after Sherman burned it, but the columns of the church still remain erect today to remind us of what our treasured historical places had to endure during this crossing of the state by Union troops at the close of the war. The graveyard is reached from the front gate by going to the right and around the back of the church. Some graves remain covered in vines and moss. The Bull Family had vaults above the ground, which due to the nature of the area where this church is located, vandals did their best to open the vaults. The bodies of this family were removed and buried elsewhere, but the vaults remain today as a reminder also of the people who helped create such a beautiful church. The church is surrounded by iron gates, but open to the public at all times of the day and week.

Many people have their weddings at this church site. It is not unusual to ride past and see a wedding taking place. The church is located down a road that is arched over with very old trees, surrounding both sides of the road which gives it the look of an arch of leaves along in front of the church as if planned that way.

A service is held once a year at the church.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 915
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 902
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 909
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 915
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 898
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 888
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 864
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 853
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 884
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 895
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 855
S

seger98

Re: Serious American History!

Real nice photos, what's with the bricks "inside" the tree? Is that real or what?

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seger98 said:
Real nice photos, what's with the bricks "inside" the tree? Is that real or what?

Was wondering the same thing.......lol

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Isn't that amazing. Yes, it's real. I'll post a couple more here.

The only thing I could think of that it could be was an attempt for reinforcement.
Or simply decoration. I wouldn't think it was that old though. Well, not over 200 years old that is. :D

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 812
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 800
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 799
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 794
S

seger98

Yeah, you could be right about that Mike, pretty neat.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, great History lesson.

Fossis.............

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called "cavity filling" and was done by arborists for years...Rich.

Attachments

• bricksintree.jpg
    bricksintree.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 771
  • bricktree2.jpg
    bricktree2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 771

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the pics ! You can just see the people walking around in their clothing of the period!
Did not know the info on trees Thanks!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Rich....Hope you won't mind me posting this link. I know this thread is American history, but as churches were included I thought perhaps you would find this site interesting. Just click on the various links to take you thru the Abbey
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/-------Thank you for posting the lovely photo's. There is nothing quite like the feel of wood, especially after it has been carved and polished.

Regards U.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Love the pics ! You can just see the people walking around in their clothing of the period!
HA! That's what I told Maggie when we were there. It was very chilling, the Ora you get there.
Unicorn said:
Mental Granny said:
Rich....Hope you won't mind me posting this link. I know this thread is American history, but as churches were included I thought perhaps you would find this site interesting. Just click on the various links to take you thru the Abbey
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/-------Thank you for posting the lovely photo's. There is nothing quite like the feel of wood, especially after it has been carved and polished.

Regards U.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only imagine the feeling one must get when walking those grounds. The pictures themselves are extremely moving. Thanks for sharing them.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richm said:
It's called "cavity filling" and was done by arborists for years...Rich.

I've never seen that before (an I been to 2 goat roppins & a county fair) but it sure looks cool .

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Mental Granny.... Am so glad you liked it, I will happily post some more links if anyone is interested. Just ask away if there is anything in particular anyone would like to see.

regards Unicorn

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Wow! these are some amazing pics. Just looking at them kinda gives you the feeling that there is something special
to experience just being there to view them first-hand. I would like to go there some time in the near future. Karen
has always wanted to visit the Carolinas and we haven't made it yet. We will have to see if we can do it next summer.
And I have been wanting to take another road trip so maybe we can work that in. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Have a great day, Ray

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
karenray08 said:
Wow! these are some amazing pics. Just looking at them kinda gives you the feeling that there is something special
to experience just being there to view them first-hand. I would like to go there some time in the near future. Karen
has always wanted to visit the Carolinas and we haven't made it yet. We will have to see if we can do it next summer.
And I have been wanting to take another road trip so maybe we can work that in. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Have a great day, Ray
Well Ray don't forget to look us up we would love to Host you and Karen.
Go ahead post those links Unicorn.
Ray, yes, I imagined the move ""The Patriot" which had a lot to do with what was happening around there. I suggest watching it very observantly before visiting the ruins and Beaufort county SC.
This is one of those places you visit and it kind of changes the way you look at things. Do you know what I mean?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread