chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all seriousness, can we give some indication in MONETARY terms ONLY what the total value of your finds have been?
To make it managable perhaps we should try and work it out in an annual ammount. An hourly rate may also be applicable. Just roughly.

I know we dont do it for the money and I know the reasons why we love detecting, but lets face it, we do sometimes make finds of significant value and Im curious to know how much on average.

Please, only answers that invole $. And if you only found one ring in 10 years then please average it out.

Me first. Somewhere in the vicinity of $500 - $600 pa ( I mostly hunt relics, which are fascinating but mostly worthless)

Chub

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but I have WAY too many ex-wives to account for everything I've found in 40+ years. Then there's the IRS, jealous relatives, yadda-yadda-yadda. A real "Treasure Hunter" never talks about money, they tell stories of looking for treasure - and sometimes finding it! :skullflag:

Attachments

• 100_8992.jpg
    100_8992.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80
  • Congress09 377 (2).jpg
    Congress09 377 (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 75
  • gold cache 002.jpg
    gold cache 002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 91
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 82
  • silver 003.jpg
    silver 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 70

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were do an honest accounting of all this. What I found minus gas and equipment. I would think I'm somewhere in the minus $500 or so a year. However the time spent outdoors exploring lost and forgotten sites is very valuable to me.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were do an honest accounting of all this. What I found minus gas and equipment. I would think I'm somewhere in the minus $500 or so a year. However the time spent outdoors exploring lost and forgotten sites is very valuable to me.

I'm honestly right there with you. It's not the money it's the hunt of the unknown and undiscovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a lady in her 80's asking me if I ever won,, while I was purchasing a few lottery tickets. I answered of course. Two weeks ago I won 2 million dollars. You looked astonished. Then I said, "Last week, I lost 3 million.
I'm in it because you never know what you're going to find or win next.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you serious.......:tongue3: It is a hobby that the benefits far outweigh the price tag. so I gotta say priceless.....I get out far more than I put into it.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hourly? After expenses - probably in the hole.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
40yr Md,6 detectors,bought sold gave 1 away 1 stolen
early days sold some things, few yrs ago hit
the straits, sold some more things, so all-n all
im in the hole

the FUN of Md priceless

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um.... yeah good luck getting anyone to fess up. It's easier to get people to brag about their oldest coin that is worth $10 vs. how much they find in real $$ doing this hobby...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I probably could have made more money collecting and cashing in empty cans, but what fun would that be.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably could have made more money collecting and cashing in empty cans, but what fun would that be.

Without a doubt can collecting would pay more in the long run.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, case closed. Thanks for the replies. The important thing is that everyone remains enthusiastic.

Chub

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cheaper than a therapist!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Total equipment expenses: $1735

Hotels and gas (out of town only): $500

Total expenses: $2235

FINDS

Clad: Approximately 5000 coins worth between $30-$50, For the $$$ calculation lets say $40.

Gold sold for melt value: $100.

Silver rings: I gave these all away to friends. Still value of about $150.

Oldest coin: $35 retail.

Other silver coins: $100

Skelton keys: $50

Misc artifacts: $100

Most of my other finds are cool, but not worth much in the retail market: maybe $150.

Total money earned: $725

Expenses: $2235
Cash value of finds: $725
Total -$1510

Over 20+ years, assuming total hunting time of 40, 40 hour weeks: -$37.75 per work week

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hard to say, just the gold I have found at melt prices must be approaching somewhere close to $2500, then there is all the silver and maybe about $1500 or more in clad along the way in about 6.5 years.
I still have several gold objects that are too good to melt, larger types and rings with ice so if I can sell them someday at even a used retail level add a whole lot more to that.
All of my equipment, detectors, pinpointers, pouches, diggers and more not counting batteries and gas money has not even broken the $2000 mark so for me this is a hobby that literally has paid for itself.
Still, none of that matters because it is the joy of the thrill of the chase, the exercise in the fresh air I get and the camaraderie and fun I have hunting with others that counts more and is priceless.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Heh, try getting hooked on sport fishing. Unless you get a sponsor it's nothing but expenses.

Boat 10-40k+
Truck to pull boat 10-60k+
Rods/reels 2.5k+
Tackle 3k+
License, stamps, fuel, lodging...

95% of these fools (I'm one too) never get any monetary return unless they find change in the boat ramp parking.

Count your blessings each zinc recovered you funny dirt-fishermen.

I love both water and dirt fishing, but I never got into either for the express purpose of monetary gain.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Total equipment expenses: $1735

Hotels and gas (out of town only): $500

Total expenses: $2235

FINDS

Clad: Approximately 5000 coins worth between $30-$50, For the $$$ calculation lets say $40.

Gold sold for melt value: $100.

Silver rings: I gave these all away to friends. Still value of about $150.

Oldest coin: $35 retail.

Other silver coins: $100

Skelton keys: $50

Misc artifacts: $100

Most of my other finds are cool, but not worth much in the retail market: maybe $150.

Total money earned: $725

Expenses: $2235
Cash value of finds: $725
Total -$1510

Over 20+ years, assuming total hunting time of 40, 40 hour weeks: -$37.75 per work week

Thanks! Thats a pretty comprehensive answer. I tried to steer the responses this way with the first post but still got alot of "its a hobby" replies. I was just curious about the economics really. Year 3 I want to say I broke even but was just thinking about the losses on other machines Ive sold :(

Chub

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guys who buy a detector and get into this hobby to "get rich" are the ones who get frustrated fast and give it up.

Just for fun I created a spreadsheet and added up my clad totals for the last 5 years. I've found 5,521 clad coins with $358.74. If I factor in the few dozen silver coins and a handful or gold rings and other misc silver jewelry I -may- have paid for the cost of 1 detector and a Propointer. I'm in this for the history and the thrill of the hunt. Most of my finds end up stashed away shortly after finding them and forgotten about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread