Seriously making money

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Who here makes money from prospecting? I didn't say a lot but who covers costs? I am a prospector in NH and have recently as dec 18th been finding good chunkier gold. This has been getting my blood going and rolling my gears because i am moving to steamboat springs colorado in just over a year from now. First off i know its possible to find more than a flake or two within a hour or two of steamboat but i do not know directly how to do it. I studied environmental science and policy in college and despised the policy but i focused in glacial geomorphology and periglacial geology this makes gold prospecting all the more intriguing....
I know people who do ok dredging but is that the best way to process material? I use a proline 3' sluice to comply with state regs( that tells u kinda where i am but its cool there are 100s of people prospecting where i do) but what i do is just sample and i still can run over 1 ton per day.
Im looking to invest into a small op to run because i am 1 addicted to gold and 2 am going to have 5 months to flyfish and prospect as soon as i get to colorado. I have friends who live in steamboat and my prospecting partner is moving there just before me. We have the opportunity to do nothing but prospect and fish and the gold is more exciting to me. Even with the small amount left in the northeast and believe me you have to work hard for it.

Im having very much difficulty finding a highbanker that can process the amount of material that i want to run. I like the heckler fabrications 810 but it seems inexpensive for its features. The keene and proline offerings are ok but i like the heckler idea for volume. What about combo banker dredges? Mini trommels? Im fairly lost. I know the size of the gold i will be hunting will be small so want the best recovery but want volume as well im very stumped with what to do.
Before i know it i will finally be in gold country and want to do this right. I will be and am in the amazing situation of being able to live my summer like a dream( and it is). I know i have the ability to locate gold in paying quantities and need to know which system works best my prospecting partner and i are shoveling machines and love gold.
Help an eastern boy discern the bull from the horns. If there are any geologists or glaciologists who are very familar with the colorado formations or very experienced members id love to get a pm so we can talk nerd...
MANY HUNT BUT FEW KILL
,Grizz

Upvote 0

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to http://www.goldhog.com He has a monster highbanker that does 6 tons an hour and its amazing! Doc the creater of the machine is awesome! He will answer any email! He guarantees a 98% catch rate or your money back! He also has smaller machines! I think this machine is around 1700 bucks, that's awesome!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! First thing I'd look at is where current commercial mines are, then claims, then working claims, then geology maps and history books. Talk to every rock club member you can out there.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Grizz, first the good news. Hahn's Peak, 20 miles north of SS, has placer gold on the SW side. No lode mines.

Bad news, this is the only known area in Routt Co for placer gold. Total production ~ 10,000 troy oz. Contrast that with
with Cripple Creek which by 1920 had produced 500 tons from 475 lode mines. Don't have figures from after that but the
CC/Victor area is still being mined for low grade gold.

You will have to research for current placer claims.

dennis fulton

Jan 27, 2013
mich
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the gold hog mats. and they work very well. and Hi all fellow treasure seekers

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for all the great aswers it looks like a good place to start would be joining the CGC and start on one of their claims and do some poking around with the sluice north in routt NF. Im still stuck on a highbanker or dredge or combo i like the idea of a highbanker being able to run regardless of river conditions but still want to comply with National Forrest regs. Sluice length doesnt matter right. Just hp of motor?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions