setting for coins in nails

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working a yard (Park1) with lots small screws and nails. coins if there will be 4" or deeper trash is bottomless it seems. I'm Too green for Park2 and 50 tones. Get flickers of good tones but don't what to tear up the place until i get the best settings, my wife would not be happy.:dontknow: Yeah my yard and it's all i hunt till nerve damage gets fixed, do hit a beach but it's a long drive for the 1/2 hour i last. thanks. I have 14-19 notched out in used profile but switch between all metal.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no magic bullet for this situation. Equinox can separate non-ferrous from ferrous, but you may still get falsing from nails. Problem with Park 1 in thick nails is that the relatively high Iron Bias setting will tend to prevent unmasking of non-ferrous targets in thick nail beds. Other non-ferrous trash is problematic. Frankly, you are going to dig trash in this situation, especially if you are using the stock coil. The 6 inch coil will provide better separation in this situation. Park 2 is not really better than Park 1 for high conductive coins but you may hit deeper nickels with it and the lower Iron Bias will unmask all non-ferrous targets better (you can also just lower the Park 1 Iron Bias setting, too). You can easily set Park 2 to be 5 vice 50 tones using the settings menu if 50 tones is overwhelming for you. HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nickle plated brass screws are the worst! I can tell most others by swing direction and switching modes. This is just me trying to learn as much as i can for now. Also have to run sensitivity lower except early morning for some reason. 50 tones in this mess is overload for now but do use it at the beach. Will lower iron bias, thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also try running the recover speed up to max to see how that works in your yard. I find it helps in nail beds to separate good and bad signals.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 2 more clad dimes in park 2 with higher recovery speed in about 20 minutes. Stuck with 50 tones all metal and sniffed them out, I.D. was jumping from 22 to 26. Had to circle round the target and pinpoint in all metal and disc as pinpoint was hitting other targets all around. And center of coil is dead on for me. This yards been hit 20-25 times for 20 years by me and brother in law with his Whites DFX, so it's a good challenge. God i miss my Garrett carrot!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We went out this morning and did a little hunting and I always run my threshold in the background, old school I suppose but that's the way I've always ran my detectors, anyhow I was using park 1, 50 tones (only adjustment) and my threshold was blanking constantly because of all the iron / nails, well I hit a repeatable tone indicative of a clad penny, but my threshold was blanking, yet the penny was still repeatable, so I decided to dig it, especially since "Truth" just popped a nice "Wheatie"!!!

After I dug it, a small nail popped out with the penny, I mean literally with the penny!!! The threshold was blanking just like it was suppose to and yet the penny rang out loud and clear!!! The more I use this machine and understand what it's telling me, the more I love it. Just thought I would share a portion of our hunt and this pic of the penny and nail... "D"

20180804_092304.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread