AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow, i will spend the day at a pretty much unknown castle ruin in the forest, this place is remote and apart from the odd walker , it is rarely visited. Has been a ruin for 650 years, but was some great history before that.
So , it is in deciduous forest, oak and beech trees mostly, so there is plenty of Autumn foliage on the ground,, multiply that by 650 years and we have what i reckon is a near virgin site, but with anything of good target value under a lot of dirt....

So how to get the most depth out of the Nox 600??...
There could be great stuff here,, would searching at 10khz do the business ?
In Multi IQ, will the lower KHZ frequency bands still get their max depth ,
So basically what settings would you use if you were there ?

Basic questions, i know, but i really want to Max the Nox for this one and hopefully gain some trust in my new equipment..

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you desire incredible depth get a PI detector, they are deeper penetrating than any VLF, even a multi. Of course they don't discriminate at all but they are also impervious to mineralization. There are no "magic depth settings" for your Nox, just go out and hunt in field 2 multi, if something is there you will find it. Coins don't sink into the ground, many ancient coins are still found in the top 10 inches of soil. You may want to order Andy Sabish's book on the Nox, he does give some relic hunting settings used by European hunters. Good luck at the ruins and show us what you find there!! Your other post stating you would like your Nox better if you had found large silver or a gold coin is kind of silly. You could buy the most expensive detector there is and hunt for fifty years and still not find a gold coin, the detector quality is not as important as getting your coil over one which is pretty rare anywhere on the planet. We like to call it "treasure hunting" but most of what we dig is trash, no trash, no goodies either. No detector can tell the difference between a gold ring and an aluminum pull tab, if you don't dig aluminum and lead trash signals you will never find gold.

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Field 2, noise cancel, ground balance, high sensitivity, MAYBE change recovery speed to 2 and slow your swings down if the stock settings aren't producing..

keep it simple

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread