Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Seventh Graders Suspended For Nine Months For Playing With Toy Gun… AT HOME

Parents outraged: “Not a school issue”

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
Sept 24, 2013

Last week, in the wake of the Navy Yard shooting in Washington DC, we predicted that we’d see another wave of knee jerk overreactions to anyone doing anything with any object that even remotely looks like a gun – sadly we were right.

The latest incident occurred in Virginia, where a seventh grader and his friend have been suspended from school for playing with a toy gun, in the boy’s own front yard, outside of school hours.

WAVY-TV reports that while waiting for the school bus, the boys were fooling around with an airsoft replica handgun, shooting plastic pellets at a target attached to a tree, with a safety net rigged up to catch any off target pellets.

A neighbor saw them and called in a complaint to police. The caller even acknowledged that the gun wasn’t real, telling the 911 dispatcher “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me (uncomfortable), as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun.”

When the Virginia Beach City Public School System got wind of the incident, the principal of Larkspur Middle School, decided to suspend the two boys, Khalid Caraballo and Aidan Clark, for the next nine months, and even recommended that the boys be “expelled for a year” for possession, handling and use of a firearm.

In a letter, the principal claims that the boys “shot at people near the bus stop,” while their parents and the boys strongly refute the accusation, noting that the gun never left the yard and was left there when the school bus arrived. There are also multiple discrepancies between the principal’s claims and the boys’ account of what happened.

“My son is my private property.” said Khalid’s mother, Solangel Caraballo. “He does not become the school’s property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school.”

“How dare he disobey me,” the mother added, “but this is a home issue. It’s not a school issue and it won’t happen again. He will never do this again.”

While maintaining that he has never taken the toy gun to school, Khalid expressed remorse, noting “It’s terrible. I won’t get the chance to go to a good college. It’s on your school record. The school said I had possession of a firearm. They aren’t going to ask me any questions. They are going to think it was a real gun, and I was trying to hurt someone. They will say ‘oh, we can’t accept you.’”

The city code indicates that it is not a violation to fire such airsoft guns on private property as long as “reasonable care” is exercised, and the fired projectiles are reasonably contained. Police would not comment on the specifics of the case, but said that they do not proactively seek out to enforce the code in such incidents involving pneumatic guns.

Caraballo will attend an alternative school, while the other boy, Clark, will now be homeschooled at the behest of his parents. A hearing will be held in January to determine if they will be allowed back to the Larkspur school.

This is the third incident of its kind in recent days, with a 9-year-old in Michigan being indefinitely suspended for pretending a plastic toy was a gun, and a 15 year old in Louisiana being jailed for “shooting” people using an iPhone app.

Following last year’s Sandy Hook tragedy, we documented a spate of similar incidents involving bubble guns, lego guns and even food bitten into the shape of a gun.

RELATED: MSNBC Host: Your Kids Belong to the Collective

Related Articles

New Tdap vaccine requirement for seventh graders begins this fall
Students suspended for using Nerf guns at school
6-year-old Boys Suspended from School for Pointing Fingers
Five-Year-Old Girl Suspended For “Terroristic-threat” To Shoot Classmates With Pink Bubble Gun
9 year old suspended indefinitely from school over toy that “looks like a gun”

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly disgraceful! I am a few miles from this incident and I can tell you it is a hotbed of liberal think. If anyone thinks government isn't powerful enough to intrude on your freedom you should think again! This kid was on HIS property. The neighbor that called 911, her kid decided to play with him and the airsoft the NEXT day.

Complete overreach and a monster of a bureaucracy!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you spell "Bankrupting School District Lawsuit"?

It is unfortunate that it should come to that. But it is the tool that legitimate grievances against companies (and many that are not legit). Although I am a firm believer in reforms, this looks like the best recourse against this district.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you spell lawsuits, I would be seeking a good lawyer...... Kids were in their own yard, before school, school has no jurisdiction nor right to say what they can and cant do off school grounds on their own time as long as they are not breaking any laws...

Liberals....:BangHead:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard | Fox News

Did you miss this part: "In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

More to the story than what is being reported...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you miss this part: "In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

Post a link that has police report charging the kids with using pellet guns to fire at kids or police stating they were using pellet guns to fire at other kids.........

I can find nothing about police reports to date saying anything about kids firing pellet guns at other kids. What happens before or after school hours is none of the scool business if it does not happen on school property.

What is next kids expelled for firing squirt guns at each other while playing in their own swimming pool...:BangHead:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There absolutely is more to the story....The kid has recanted that he was running away. The principle is still trying to defend his being an idiot, and he is trying to spin it to people who think that they can find a way to justify the idiocy by looking logical. People like this also think that they need to be super sleuth's to find the hidden truth.

The Reporter, in case you didn't know, told the kid to shoot HIM with the gun too. The kid obliged. The reporter said" ow, yeah that hurt... look you can see a little kind of, welt. " No damage, no blood, from point blank.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Having not been there, I can only go off the reports I read. As with every other similar story that has been posted on here, I am just trying to "talk people down" from jumping to irrational conclusions (as it always happens on here). These types of incidents are never as simple as meets the eye. The school must have had some reason to act the way that they acted and I am simply trying to point that out.

Whether or not the truth points to the school's actions being justified, well that is something no one on here is qualified to determine.

It sounds to me like some of the people involved overreacted and possibly lied about the incident (if the statement about recanting is accurate). Kids make stuff up, it happens. The school may possibly be backpeddling if facts have come to light that makes their actions seem unjustifiable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having not been there, I can only go off the reports I read. As with every other similar story that has been posted on here, I am just trying to "talk people down" from jumping to irrational conclusions (as it always happens on here). These types of incidents are never as simple as meets the eye. The school must have had some reason to act the way that they acted and I am simply trying to point that out.

Whether or not the truth points to the school's actions being justified, well that is something no one on here is qualified to determine.

It sounds to me like some of the people involved overreacted and possibly lied about the incident (if the statement about recanting is accurate). Kids make stuff up, it happens. The school may possibly be backpeddling if facts have come to light that makes their actions seem unjustifiable.

Sorry, but we are qualified to say what is justified when it concerns our children. What happens at home off of school grounds is between the parents and the kids and if it ever comes to it the legal system, it is not the schools business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, but we are qualified to say what is justified when it concerns our children. What happens at home off of school grounds is between the parents and the kids and if it ever comes to it the legal system, it is not the schools business.

People with attitudes such as yours ought to just home school their kids.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
playing with a toy gun at the school bus stop...

if some pervert grabbed the kid at the bus stop...it would be all about the school not providing security for the children.

selective reasoning seems to be the most important tool for top posters in the second amendment threads.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
playing with a toy gun at the bus stop...

if some pervert grabbed the kid at the bus stop...it would be all about the school not providing security for the children.

selective reasoning seems to be the most important tool for top posters in the second amendment threads.

I was thinking something very similar.

If these kids shot an airsoft pellet and it hurt another kid at the bus stop, I promise you the parents of the hurt kid would be crying foul if the school had NOT done something. School are being sued for not stopping bullying by other kids. What does that tell you.

A lose lose situation. No matter what someone isn't going to be happy.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
playing with a toy gun at the school bus stop...

I was thinking something very similar.

If these kids shot an airsoft pellet and it hurt another kid at the bus stop, I promise you the parents of the hurt kid would be crying foul if the school had NOT done something. School are being sued for not stopping bullying by other kids. What does that tell you.

A lose lose situation. No matter what someone isn't going to be happy.

You 2 have both found something in the story that isn't there.. I will let you figure out where facts are getting in your way again Pip.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People with attitudes such as yours ought to just home school their kids.

Since I am taxed to pay for public schools I have a right to speak about who that money is spent as well as I have a right to speak when rights are violated....

Why don't you home school your kids, mine are all out of college and productive members of society..

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is all this argument about guns or school bus stops? If about pointing guns what do we do with laser tag or paint ball games? If it's about school bus stops who sets the rules there? city, State, county, or some goof who thinks he knows better then a parent? Sorry but when I went to school and crap like this happened there would be 20 or 30 of us playing kernf games on the bus stop.
By the way what are the lib thoughts on spit balls??

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ben, you said: "The school may possibly be backpedaling if facts have come to light that makes their actions seem unjustifiable." There ya go, my sentiments exactly. And that's where lawsuits come in to play. Suing the A$$ES off dimwit do-gooders who use their positions to try and further their own agendas. They wouldn't be backpeddling had they got the facts before they started peddling in the first place. We all know that, if a kid had been shot at the bus stop and hurt, there would be hell to pay but, that DID NOT HAPPEN! I bet the kids would not be suspended for nine months had they been throwing rocks although that would be a more likely cause of injury, possibly serious injury. It's the "satanic" gun that gets the attention, real or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread