Several coins being sold, value?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw this ad in today's paper. I'm not a big collector so I have to look up the values. I can't find any value on the 3 coins...

Is this worth the $20 purchase price?

Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 9.18.09 AM.png

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for $20 in my opinion. The 69 Kennedys are only 40% silver and go for around 3 bucks apiece and the bicentanials are only worth face value.. I would pass on this if it were me..

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Not for $20 in my opinion. The 69 Kennedys are only 40% silver and go for around 3 bucks apiece and the bicentanials are only worth face value.. I would pass on this if it were me..

Okay, thank you. I'll pass on the purchase.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass also. The 40% halves are the only coins worth anything.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, GIB, everyone has been wrong on the advice given. The 1969 40%'ers are worth melt. But the Bicentennial set was issued in business strike and proof strike. The 3 coin set features an Ike dollar, Kennedy half dollar, and Washington quarter all in 40% silver. Provident metals has it for $15.52 Buy SILVER BICENTENNIAL SETS Online | 1976 3 Piece Silver Biventennial Sets

Doing the simple math of $15 + $12 gives you a value greater than the asking price.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, then, that complicates my brain cell.

If it's a good deal then they are probably already sold.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, GIB, everyone has been wrong on the advice given. The 1969 40%'ers are worth melt. But the Bicentennial set was issued in business strike and proof strike. The 3 coin set features an Ike dollar, Kennedy half dollar, and Washington quarter all in 40% silver. Provident metals has it for $15.52 Buy SILVER BICENTENNIAL SETS Online | 1976 3 Piece Silver Biventennial Sets

Doing the simple math of $15 + $12 gives you a value greater than the asking price.

What you're all missing here is the fact that the 76 bicentennial set came in both silver and clad also business strike and proof. The devil here is in the details which the seller has conveniently left out of his ad, I would assume they are clad sets. What is your motive for buying random common modern issue's anyway?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you need to complete a set, they're not a particularly good investment. Buy a Morgan dollar instead.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the seller knew the halves were silver I bet he would have know or done some research to see if the bicentennial set was silver. It also says silver on the sets. I bet they were clad since they didn't mention them as being silver.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you need to complete a set, they're not a particularly good investment. Buy a Morgan dollar instead.

I would argue that may not be such a good idea either but that is a topic for another time....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Hunter and Matthew, I respect your opinions, but in this case you are looking for holes that don't exist. Matthew stated that the bicentennial issues were issued in both silver and clad. They also were minted with business strikes and proof strikes. The seller doesn't have to clearly state the set was silver as the Mint did not issue a 3 coin set in clad. The clad business strikes were available in Mint sets and circulation. The clad proof strikes were issued in a proof set. Both of these sets include the cent and nickel. The silver sets, both business and proof strikes, were only issued in a 3 coin set. With the seller stating that it was the 3-coin set, it is implied that it is a silver issue. It is still up to the buyer to confirm the coins are what they would like, but I don't see the seller trying to mislead anyone in a classified advertisement that has a word/line limitation.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter and Matthew, I respect your opinions, but in this case you are looking for holes that don't exist. Matthew stated that the bicentennial issues were issued in both silver and clad. They also were minted with business strikes and proof strikes. The seller doesn't have to clearly state the set was silver as the Mint did not issue a 3 coin set in clad. The clad business strikes were available in Mint sets and circulation. The clad proof strikes were issued in a proof set. Both of these sets include the cent and nickel. The silver sets, both business and proof strikes, were only issued in a 3 coin set. With the seller stating that it was the 3-coin set, it is implied that it is a silver issue. It is still up to the buyer to confirm the coins are what they would like, but I don't see the seller trying to mislead anyone in a classified advertisement that has a word/line limitation.

I meant no disrespect diver I was just stating that you have to be careful the age old trick of selling a clad proof set as silver has fooled many.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I meant no disrespect diver I was just stating that you have to be careful the age old trick of selling a clad proof set as silver has fooled many.

You didn't disrespect me. I know you knew the difference as do others, but for those that are unaware of past Mint offerings, I was clarifying what was implied. 99 times out of 100 when a seller states a 3 coin bicentennial set, it will be one of the silver issues (business or proof strike). There are a very few that might try and repackage a broken clad proof set and repackage the clad in the Mint's airtite packaging for the proof silver offering. When it comes to the business strikes, a novice should only consider the original Mint cello encased coins. If the coins were in 2x2's, then the novice should avoid such an opportunity.

Now, an experienced collector should still be able to identify raw silver bicentennial coins and buy when the opportunity suits them. I myself buy the business strikes when the opportunity is advantageous (below melt - in some cases very much below melt). I ditch the Mint packaging and assemble solid rolls. Sell the rolls at a premium and cherrypick the exceptional strikes.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't disrespect me. I know you knew the difference as do others, but for those that are unaware of past Mint offerings, I was clarifying what was implied. 99 times out of 100 when a seller states a 3 coin bicentennial set, it will be one of the silver issues (business or proof strike). There are a very few that might try and repackage a broken clad proof set and repackage the clad in the Mint's airtite packaging for the proof silver offering. When it comes to the business strikes, a novice should only consider the original Mint cello encased coins. If the coins were in 2x2's, then the novice should avoid such an opportunity.

Now, an experienced collector should still be able to identify raw silver bicentennial coins and buy when the opportunity suits them. I myself buy the business strikes when the opportunity is advantageous (below melt - in some cases very much below melt). I ditch the Mint packaging and assemble solid rolls. Sell the rolls at a premium and cherrypick the exceptional strikes.

What I was saying is that the clad proof set does not state on the packaging that it is clad, novice collectors see the proof surface along with the S mintmark and assume its silver. Collectors know the difference but novices have trouble, I have seen these mistakenly listed as silver on eBay and other places and tried to correct the seller. The ad is worded like this "3 year 1776 1976 Bicentennial " which confuses me am i getting the three coin set or three of the same coin also he states that the kennedy half are silver why not state the bicentennial is silver? I was just taking the side of precaution and warning the OP so that if he chooses to buy the said coins he would know the difference. I'm not claiming the seller is being dishonest just to be careful.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the ad is selling a bicentenial "set". I read it as 1 1969 silver kennedy, and 3 bicentenial kennedys. Total of four coins: 1 silver , 3 clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread