Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every few months I try to read a true story about modern day treasure hunters. I few years back I read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It is about a few NJ wreck divers that found a unknown sub off the Jersey coast which turns out to be a German U-Boat. The divers are Richie Kohler and John Chatterton which at two of the nicest guys you could meet. I don't dive but it has always interested me and the type of deep recreational diving that they do is as extreme as you can get with diving.

If you enjoy this book also look for Titanic's Last Secrets by Brad Matsen which is also about these same divers discovering an unknown part of the Titanic wreckage and the NOVA documentary titled Hitler's Lost Sub which is about the U-Boat off the Jersey coast.

I'm currently reading The Lost City of Z by David Grann. I just started so I can't recommend it yet. It is about Percy Harrison Fawceet who was a British explorer that disappeared back in 1925 in the Amazon while looking for the 'elusive' City of Z.

I hope you read and enjoy Shadow Divers.

By the way if you are interested in wreck diving, Richie teaches classes around the world and John has a dive shop in the Dominican Republic. Both seem to be very nice guys.
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread