Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics! What camera are you using?

This was taken with a canon 60D. I also usually use a Canon T3i for wider shots. They have same 18mp sensor. I find 60d pics and video look a little better, but for time-lapse which is what I mostly use t3i for it is good camera and really a great photography camera. It starts to fall apart a little when trying to do video but some great indy films have been made with a $300 T3i. I also use worst lenses possible the infamous 18-55mm and the stockish 70-300USMII:)
So really equipment matters less than people think it's more about the moment and location weather lighting and how you use the crappy equipment:)

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was taken with a canon 60D. I also usually use a Canon T3i for wider shots. They have same 18mp sensor. I find 60d pics and video look a little better, but for time-lapse which is what I mostly use t3i for it is good camera and really a great photography camera. It starts to fall apart a little when trying to do video but some great indy films have been made with a $300 T3i. I also use worst lenses possible the infamous 18-55mm and the stockish 70-300USMII:)
So really equipment matters less than people think it's more about the moment and location weather lighting and how you use the crappy equipment:)

Equipment!! My dad had his own darkroom, years ago and still has his cameras. Try film he says. You have the "eye" I say. My daily snapshot is one my favorite haunts. It is time to retire my point & shoot though. I hope to see more of your photographs:icon_thumright:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another rare and unique shot Alex. I had to google best photos of the bay area. I see some very wonderful pictures of around SF, but none close to this one. How wonderful you had your camera for this rare moment in time. An image like this to photo will never come again. I'm thinking if other photographers in the bay area see this they'll be scrabbling to try and get something like it. They could be waiting for years to have a comparable moment like this. Good job:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you tamrock I really appreciate you always saying great things about my and others work. Dizzy, Old Digger, Neo, Oregon Viking and anyone else I missed that often takes the time to post and support you really are appreciated. I actually saw a pic on here one day about 18months ago that just blew me away. It was a pic of a small waterfall and a guy from this forum was the guy in the pic and he took it. (I looked for pic and can't find it I'll try to find it though again tonight) I asked him how he took it he was kind enough to tell me and as soon as I could afford a camera I got one and have been practicing ever since. So really if it wasn't for this forum I may have never thought I could take a picture or at least a decent one:)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you tamrock I really appreciate you always saying great things about my and others work. Dizzy, Old Digger, Neo, Oregon Viking and anyone else I missed that often takes the time to post and support you really are appreciated. I actually saw a pic on here one day about 18months ago that just blew me away. It was a pic of a small waterfall and a guy from this forum was the guy in the pic and he took it. (I looked for pic and can't find it I'll try to find it though again tonight) I asked him how he took it he was kind enough to tell me and as soon as I could afford a camera I got one and have been practicing ever since. So really if it wasn't for this forum I may have never thought I could take a picture or at least a decent one:)

I would like to see that. I looked but did not find it. I have been taking a lot of waterfall pics close to home. Time to venture further.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, another great photo. I've recently learned the hard way those pictures don't wait around, you have to have the camera ready, and you have to be ready to take the picture. Natures lighting seems to change really fast.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Superb Photo's!!..I agree that it's more important to be at the right place at the right time. Lighting really is most everything. I used the 18-55 for a long time, but have saved and acquired some expensive L lenses which I love.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Is this it? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=803440&d=1369604228

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes that's it haha I'm on my phone so I can't see the orig poster was it you?:) That picture is really amazing!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He beat me to it but I was gonna say it was probably ronwoodcraft's 'bigfoot' pic, haha! Another good pic, Alex. Out of curiousity, how long did the light last like that? What I mean is, when I go out to get a sunrise pic up here, the light and color changes faster than you would think, and there's really only a few seconds where it hits the right intensity, so I do a lot of sitting and waiting and multiple shots. And of course some days, it's only all gray clouds and white snow, too.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
He beat me to it but I was gonna say it was probably ronwoodcraft's 'bigfoot' pic, haha! Another good pic, Alex. Out of curiousity, how long did the light last like that? What I mean is, when I go out to get a sunrise pic up here, the light and color changes faster than you would think, and there's really only a few seconds where it hits the right intensity, so I do a lot of sitting and waiting and multiple shots. And of course some days, it's only all gray clouds and white snow, too.
I have that problem too,

The light can change dramatically during a sunrise or sunset. I'm usually at home, or on the road with nothing interesting in the foreground when I see the most glorious colors.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi RGINN usually anytime you get the shafts of light it's just for a few minutes and usually about a half hour or 45min before actual sunset so this pic is a little deceptive in that regard, but for lighting like this what I look for is a layer of clouds at about 1500-2500ft then I try to get to an elevation far enough away and usually about same elevation as the cloud layer. Then I hope for the sun to drop behind the clouds creating a look almost like a natural back-light. One thing I've discovered is that rainy days or days when they say it will rain are often the best for photography most people stay home afraid to get themselves or gear wet but those are the days you will get awesome ice-cream looking cirrus clouds or other amazing looking scenes like rainbows or epic sunsets in my short experience.

If you are ever trying to shoot a shafts of light and often with sunsets it is best to underexpose a little to accentuate the shafts/shadows of the scene and you can always brighten the pic up later if it looks too dark. I would also bracket three shots as most modern cameras do that now if you can. When I got most these shots I was shooting time-lapse so I had it set to just take pic after pic at same exposure but if you are taking reg pics with bracketing you can give yourself more options when you get the pics home. Hope this sort of answers your question.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some how I missed bigfoot?? I gave it a 'like' ... I had a hunch Alex was talking about something the Woodcrafter must have done by his description. That is a beautiful picture.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful pic!!
Pics like that make me REALLY thankful to have eyes!!
Seeing that in person would have put me in a mometary trance!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread