🥇 BANNER Shakin up again on the old copper trail!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

Edit: Just figured out my poor condition pewter and it's a Rev War Loyalist 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

The coins are....

Large one is a French Decime (1790s)
3 Can. lg cents
3 Ships Colonies tokens
1815 Halfpenny token
King George II Halfpenny
Victoria NS thistle token
Indian head
And the broken one is a Kyan and Camac conder token. A few hunts ago I dug another broken half of one of these so there must be quite a few cast counterfeits that exist.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 808
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 760
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 618
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 684
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Upvote 70

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I got here late again, so the horse was already out of the barn and on the BANNER but congrat's anyhow.
I don.t know if they were even made but that almost looks as if it were solid silver.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP,

Me thinks Abe will have a hard time topping this find....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yo Vino I know your mad at me cause I have t called you back but you like this? I never thought you'd go as far as to switch over to the dark side....aka IP Fan. Not cool bro....not cool. You should really despise him since he finds Rev War buttons like we find memorials. All I want is a Rev War button. Just one. That's it. Maybe in a little better condition than this one lol. I've got two Rev War soldiers cellar homes lined up. Prob find nothing but all you can do is put yourself in the spots that you have a chance at it.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yo Vino I know your mad at me cause I have t called you back but you like this? I never thought you'd go as far as to switch over to the dark side....aka IP Fan. Not cool bro....not cool. You should really despise him since he finds Rev War buttons like we find memorials. All I want is a Rev War button. Just one. That's it. Maybe in a little better condition than this one lol. I've got two Rev War soldiers cellar homes lined up. Prob find nothing but all you can do is put yourself in the spots that you have a chance at it.

How can you mot switch over with a find like that???

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We both know which list is more impressive and scarce. It would be cheap if I won so I prefer it this way buddy. I have a couple other Spanish silvers I found this year but they're not much to look at. A few other nice looking coins as well but let's face it. Rev War buttons and other military buttons are just special. I'm happy with what I found considering I missed the last few months. I'm psyched with the spoons and the complete early buckle. A few Spanish and about 30 early coppers. Handful of nice shoe buckles and some other cool items. But it sucked missing so much time. The one positive is that it's given me time to research a lot. And hey if the weather holds maybe I can hit up a few spots before I get frozen out. I was hunting the first week of January in 2015. I'm excited to see what 2016 holds for us. I enjoy this competition stuff. It just is a bit of extra motivation for us

All I want is one more shot for the old silver which I am very due, and looking at the weather 14 days trend, if it holds true I should very easily get it. :headbang: I don't tend to think ahead too much and a little part of that is I just look at it as adding things here and there to my collection and when I do I do, and when I don't, well not a big deal. That being said, since the Summer I've been on some of the most enjoyable hunts I've had in many years, and even in general. It was great to find some quality old sites to prove they are definitely still here to find, but then yesterday is absolute confirmation why this hobby will never die because look what can turn up in a spot no one would stay at.... because it seemed like there was nothing else to find. It boggles the mind sometimes how a person can walk right to the find.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, so I see....

Congrats IP! That's the finest silver plated button I have even seen dug. It looks great up top!

I'd say about once a year (maybe every two years) I find an early plain button with all the silver plating intact and every time I think.... why can't this be the military for once and survive like this. Well finally it happened.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha
Nope, not yet; got home, took a shower, caught up with Tnet, had a couple of beers and a big plate of ribs....now I'm waking up from a nap

I'll get on that right now!
Btw I can't even take 40 winks without you getting a banner; I'll never sleep again! Lol

That one has me curious. I think I'll likely be familiar once I see a cleaned pic, but it sure did not register with me from what I could see.

You must be at about 500 winks now, so back to work!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say about once a year (maybe every two years) I find an early plain button with all the silver plating intact and every time I think.... why can't this be the military for once and survive like this. Well finally it happened.

Rarity + condition makes this a once in a lifetime find. Just remember if you send out any t-shirts they do bring good luck to the wearer. Carolina Tom sent me a t-shirt so the next time I wore it I snagged them GW buttons.

Some people don't need any more luck if you know what I mean...

Lol

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rarity + condition makes this a once in a lifetime find. Just remember if you send out any t-shirts they do bring good luck to the wearer. Carolina Tom sent me a t-shirt so the next time I wore it I snagged them GW buttons.

Some people don't need any more luck if you know what I mean...

Lol

Vino, think you better just get an Iron Patch rules tattoo.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that that be like a diggers tramp stamp?

Only on Vino. It would probably look pretty cool on the rest of us. :laughing7: Abe, I think he'll be back to you anytime now. ;)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man,

I have been a bit behind on TNet after thanksgiving. Did not see this until it made Banner (and deserving so). Killer button man...one on my wish list for sure!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

That one has me curious. I think I'll likely be familiar once I see a cleaned pic, but it sure did not register with me from what I could see.

You must be at about 500 winks now, so back to work!

Plenty of winks in.
Big problem for me right now is keeping the power on

The button is still a mystery, coin is Danish

edit/ just out of the peroxide
I could see skilling bit it's a Norwegian 1 skilling !

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill. My ph is lame (or its me), no red box just 3 dots above each other on this screen. I can post a comment, like, report, copy, share and a couple of other things. I'll just stumble across it if I keep trying stuff.
I haven't tried "report", but I think its to report a problem. Idk

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of winks in.
Big problem for me right now is keeping the power on

The button is still a mystery, coin is Danish

yep, seen major outages again. Looked because my lights went dim for about 5 minutes. Have never seen that before. Pretty lucky we moved the hunt up a day!

The coin did seem to have plenty enough detail to ID... the button I figured would be tough because often with those you can have everything and it's still not enough to say exactly what it is.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been so busy working the lobster season that I just seen this. Congrats on the banner! [emoji2][emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread