shallow rivers and creeks

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of small shallow rivers and creeks. not many swimming hole in them. not many of them have banks either. Mostly just wooded areas that no one travels, on bank or by water, to shallow. i know there were some Indians at some point in this town, cotton farms, and tobacco farms and factories, saw mills, oil fields. I'm sure nothing looks as it did way back then, but not sure if anything or anyone was ever along these creeks either. been trying to find out but not much history no where. My question is, Does anyone think there would be any good stuff in them.

I have not received our AP Pro yet, so I am just trying to put together a list of places to go and try and also getting permission from people to hunt on their properties. One old man owns half the property, His family started this little town. he loves history, so i may be able to talk him into letting me hunt on all his properties. we shall see

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just so you know that creeks and rivers change course over time. Where it flows today is probably not where it was 100 years ago.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
My folks got married just before Christmas long, long ago. After the wedding, they went wadding in Caney Creek to cool down. That was the thing to do back then before A/C was invented. Yes, definitely check along creeks. However, if the land isn't yours, make sure you have permission to detect there.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just so you know that creeks and rivers change course over time. Where it flows today is probably not where it was 100 years ago.
Yes, this is normally true. However, Conroe is pretty much flat land and the main waterway that floods enough to change its course is the San Jacinto River.

Geez, I'd hate to think how many people are living there now!! Wacky.gif

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mainly going to stay in the creek its self, not on the land, considering the banks are steep straight from the water. Conroe is turning out be like Houston, more people than land.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Two things I've learned:
1) You never know till you try.
2) You never know where someone dropped something till you find it.

LOL

#2 is the weirdest. I find stuff in the ODDEST places going to and from the "hot spots."

Agreed. Transition zones rock!

I've been thinking of hitting all the parks like this one day. From the car I'll turn on machine and walk to hot-spot. Arrive at hot-spot then turn back and walk to car. Go to next park and repeat. It's going to be super efficient because that walk back to the car is often where I find the winning hit of the hunt.

Self, just stop beating around the bushes, I'm thinking. :laughing7:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my thoughts but think back 100 to 150 years ago when most traveling was horseback and look for areas a rider could water animal and make camp, flat areas and trees also same places picnicking would have been done,So water is important spot but the water for the animal could have been brought to it.So as long as the campsite is good getting the horse to the water wasn't so important.If there are large rocks that could have been a windbreak that also would be a good campsite so while you are out looking for spots think like someone back then would, looking for campsite or picnic spot.If you can find some old maps for area you might find some old homesteads.Check out the library for some research help.Don't be afraid to get your detector wet I have had mine fully submerged where only my head was above water.Just make sure all fitting are tight but not with tools just fingers.The O-rings have thin coating of grease to keep water out.If you don't have waterproof headphones don't go as deep the stock headphones aren't waterproof I wouldn't use them if going in the water they fit loose and could easily fall off.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I differently have parks on my list

In the wood chips or shredded rubber is real good under slides(the end) ,any bars where kids hang upside down Most of my Gold and silver items have been from there.Around school grounds are good also.Sports fields around the edge where people sit and people playing put their stuff down.Outside basketball courts also around the edge.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I find a lot of nice things between the edge of a playground to about 15' out in the grass.

But all creeks hold something. Imagine you needed to get across where would you do it easiest. Those steep ravines where nobody can walk (more like climbing) often were used as trash dumps prior to landfills. Look for unusual humps in the areas. They'll be covered in vegetation but after you find a few it gets fairly easy to spot them... like morel mushrooms kinda. Keep eyes peeled for glass shards and drain tile fragments for tells. Work going upstream.

Good luck.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on to YouTube and look at videos by Aquachigger about the enourmous coin spill he found in a creek like you are describing.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may also hit up some old dirt and gravel at the bars!!!!!:occasion14:
and I don't even drink, but i will take their lost drunken money.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a small dump of a bar....where was it now? From 3083 and 105, go north (I think). It was a ways up. If you hit 336, you went too far. That place had been around for so many years, I'm certain there's lots of change laying all around outside!

I could be wrong on the road, but the general directions are correct. Maybe it's not 3083. ARG! Can't remember anymore! :BangHead: Anyway, as you're driving north, the bar was on the left.

And no, I've never been there. I don't drink!! :occasion14: :laughing7:

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thier are no bars out there. NONE
I do know some in New Caney on 494 and 1485 East going towards huffman

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Maybe, but - let me look up a map - see if I can refresh my fading memory.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, was either on Airport Rd or Beach Airport Rd before you get to 336 N, and was on the left when heading north. Was a little dive of a shack. Sat maybe 50'-60' off the road, I think.

Looking on the map, am dumbfounded how much it has grown out there. Used to be nothing but Pines with the sporadic house now and then.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife said she knows where that place is and it is still there, barely. lol
She said it use to be a gay bar at one time. didnt do to well out in this area

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creeks shift over time but one thing that always stays is a outside corner cut in rock.Lots of things can hang up in cracks. Also when creeks change many times they will cut through ancient Indian sites and spread artifacts. I would bet your shallow crossings of today is where they crossed 100 years ago. Good luck and enjoy your new machine.

P9280238.JPG

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was mainly going to stay in the creek its self, not on the land, considering the banks are steep straight from the water. Conroe is turning out be like Houston, more people than land.

Hi guys!
I lived in Conroe in the 80s/early 90s when it was a small town(Foster Oaks subdivision when it was nicer). I think its more than doubled in population since I left and that's too bad. But that's the nature of big city suburbs, I guess.

I didn't do any hunting when I was there but if I was going to hunt the area now, I'd spend some time on Historic Aerials and see how things have changed over time. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread