Shallow water Detecting & Diving in the Houston area.

therschbach

Mar 11, 2009
Shallow water Detecting & Diving in the Houston area.

Hey guys, I live in Houston and I really like to go down to Galveston to do water hunting. I am also SCUBA certified and own my equipment. My question is this. I would like to find a swimming area, either fresh or salt, that would be deep enough to warrant using SCUBA. I would be detecting for gold jewelry and coins.

I suppose my question is two part:

1. Is there anyone certified in my area that would be interested in joining me or me joining them to do some U/W detecting? I have two U/W detectors if you don't have one.

2. Does anyone know of any places in my area that would be good for this? The water at Galveston in the surf is usually zero visibility so I'm not sure I would want to try that, not to mention I've never done a dive from a beach so I'm not sure what factors I would have to take into consideration such as tide & currents. I would think it would be frustrating to fight them both, struggle with the low vis, and detect at the same time. Could it be doable at low tide with an offshore breeze?

Does anyone know of any freshwater areas around? It doesn't matter how deep, 7-10 feet would be great. Just deep enough for people to swim and lose coins & jewelry. If you don't have any specific locations, could you give me an idea of where I could look?

I'd just like to do some U/W detecting and I don't know where to start. Thanks!

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Re: Shallow water Detecting & Diving in the Houston area.

Hi therschbach, I thought I would say something since you aren't getting any other bites. I don't have any knowledge of locations in your area so these will only be general comments.

You mention looking for places deep enough to warrant scuba. I dive in a large lake regularly that has a man made beach. Quite often I search in water where I could probably about touch bottom, so don't rule out places that aren't over your head. Chances are that is where the majority of finds will be anyway since many folks don't go out over their head. What I do as a courtesy is to go fairly early in the morning so as to avoid contact with swimmers. Choose a place that is easy at first, so as to get used to your equipment and develop your recovery technique.

The beach diving thing is doable, but somewhat difficult. Definitely get used to doing it without the detector first. Practice on the same beach you intend to dive first and under the same tidal conditions. You may find the currents and surge in your chosen area require too much focus to think about detecting. Definitely wear a lot more weight than you normally would (ditchable of course). You will probably be groping along the bottom or even crawling rather than swimming. Knee pads are something you may find helpful.

Visibility will frustrate your recovery. Putting your detector aside to get a free hand is troublesome. For this reason it is nice to have a belt mounted unit with the coil on just a very short shaft, basically just long enough for a grip. You may have to make your own.

Research is the key to finding good places to search in your area. Ask old timers if they can remember swimming holes they swam at as a kid. Hit the local historical society for some leads on old ferry crossings, resorts, fishing camps, piers, wharves, boat docks, etc.

Also look for places where there are or were rope swings, diving boards and diving rocks.

Best of luck and welcome to TNet!

Stan

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey therschbach, go to the "General Discussion By Location" and click on "Texas." You might have a better chance of finding info there.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

I know of a few local spots that I want to dive in the next few months. It is as well pretty low vis. but much better than the Galveston surf in which is 0 vis. :wink:

The last time I hit these "party" islands I found a few rings and necklaces. Its best to hit these during the week, after memorial day weekend may be a great time.

OP
OP
T

therschbach

Mar 11, 2009

Thanks for the replies guys. I remember hunting Galveston and getting a foot or two of vis, but this weekend, even with low tide, the vis was 0. I'm not sure it would be practical or safe, or even fun to try.

Shaw, if you need a dive buddy and want to do some UW detecting, let me know. It's something I'd love to try. I just don't know of any popular swimming locations other than the beach.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)

Good luck! Post your experiences back to this thread. I would love to hear about them!

Stan
Marietta, GA

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Flagship Hotel, Balanese Room, Old Shrimp Hut pier .. any of the over the water souviner shops with back patio -- couple books in Freeman Library Clear Lake ... Texas Treasures (Townsend?) and Treasures of Galveston Bay -- there are a few wrecks out in the Gulf Documented there.

Tales of Spanish Galeons lost in Hurricane around Middle Deer Island (Submerged now -- just north of Galveston Island Halfway to Tiki Island) and/or Virginia Point whichever story you want to believe. Check out the books, interesting info if nothing else :coffee2:.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know of any areas near you for diving but can tell you of my experiences. When diving off a beach you either have to take everything in the water with you or have someone watch over your stuff on shore. I've even had boats try to take my dive flag because they thought it was a freebie.

I found it easy to float the BC with tank, and fins out to chest deep water then put them on. I straped detector on too. I used a 1280 years ago an then the CZ20 and Excal. The 1280 and 20 floated so don't let go of it or you will have to swim to the surface to get it. I teathered it to me. The use of a Garrett classifier pan is used to push into the bottom to retrieve the target. It is plastic so you can wave the coil over to see if you have the item before wasting Air shaking it out. Again teather it to you as it also floats. I carried a Lobster bag for bottles or targets and a smaller pouch for rings. I took to carrying a lift bag for the occasional small Outboard motors I found. I have many lakes around and do well around diving rafts. It is a lot more fun than just swimming around looking at fish. :thumbsup:

The fun scale went off the charts when I bought a Hookah system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread