Shalow water

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. New on this from Fairfax, Va. Have always been curious if metal detecting in shallow water would damage my detector. Have been tempted many times in the past. Haven't been digging in years until after watching Diggers on Nat'l Geographic. Got the itch to go. Haven't seen Ric Savage yet. Heard the bad reviews. By the way, I have a Garret ACE250. Thanks for your help. Always keep my detector in my car this time of year.

Upvote 0

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It won't be any problem detecting in shallow water as long as you don't get the control box wet. The coils are waterproof.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go into the water, put a tether on the detector, so in case you drop it, it won't get wet.....because eventually, you WILL drop it.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, be careful how you set your detector down. Water on the coil will run down the pole and right into the control box. Until that coil is deemed to be completely dry, do not set it down such that the coil is above the level of the control box. Finally, wrapping the control box in a plastic bag and tying it off above and below the control box on the shaft can allow you to potentially drop it or splash it without the whole control box getting wet. Water can still end up getting in. But if it is just a trickle then it may keep you from totally ruining the detector on accident. As others have said, you WILL drop it eventually. Taking even minor precautions can mean the difference between a functioning detector and one that is not worth a cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread