Shark repellant devices - a news story

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Teen surfer bitten by shark while wearing device said to reduce risk of attack - AOL News

Inside Edition
Dec 30th 2016 6:07PM

A Florida teen is lucky to be a live after a surprise encounter with a shark that he says occurred even though he was wearing a device designed to reduce the risk of an attack.

Zack Davis, 16, was surfing Tuesday in St. Lucie County when a shark appeared out of nowhere and attacked him.

"When I was underwater I just felt like pressure and a bite on my right arm so I just got out of the water and ran to shore as quick as possible," he told Inside Edition.

At the time, Davis was wearing a SharkBanz, a device swimmers and surfers wear on their wrists or ankles.

A promotional video from the company claims the device wards off sharks with a high-powered magnet. In a demonstration, sharks are seen keeping away from bait with the SharkBanz, but return to devour it when the device is taken off.

Davis says he got the $80 anti-shark apparatus for Christmas. He says he wore it exactly once — the day he was bitten.

"I've been surfing that beach for three years and have seen sharks there but have never been bit but the first time I put it on, that's when I got bit," he said.

The co-founder of Sharkbanz reportedly said the company stands behind the Sharkbanz device and wanted to reach out to Zack to find out how the attack happened. He also said "I'm really relieved he is ok and he was super positive about his recovery."

The company says this is the first time anyone has been attacked while wearing the device. "What happened here is essentially the rarest of shark encounters where Zack jumped off his board and pretty much landed on the shark. If anything it [the device] probably helped clear the shark out of the area quicker." SharkBanz scientists reportedly reviewed the incident and believe the shark let go of the boy's arm quicker because of the technology.

Davis wrapped his arm with the leash from his surfboard to slow the bleeding. He required 47 stitches and was released from the hospital on Wednesday.

Davis doesn't think he will wear the SharkBanz again, but he's not afraid to go back surfing.

Upvote 0

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... if he jumped on the shark and it bit him... I dont think its the band's fault. Not sure what to think about the band. If it works or does nt work. Good thing the shark did nt clamp down. Surfer would be missing an arm.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well... if he jumped on the shark and it bit him... I dont think its the band's fault. Not sure what to think about the band. If it works or does nt work. Good thing the shark did nt clamp down. Surfer would be missing an arm.

Yeah, there was a lady killed & another person bit last year off the NC coast. I've been wondering about them myself.

Maybe somebody here has?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" September through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks.

Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send me these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batsprays.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need any $80 devices sprays special colored wetsuits! All you need to do is follow the first rule of diving, ALWAYS dive with a buddy. Using this what's the first thing you do when you spot a shark? You stab your buddy and swim like crazy!!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told people in the 90s that PIs attracked fish and sharks - people thought I was foolin or being silly

Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" September through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks.

Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send me these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good reason to go with a multifrequency VLF!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So the company said that the boy jumped onto the shark; but is that what happened or is the company just doing the PR best not to go all the way underwater and belly up.

If he actually jumped onto the shark then fine, heck I may bite you too, but for sure at the least hurt you. But is that what really happened?

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love this Terry they don't know your joking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread