Shark! Shark! Shark!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm on the beach yesterday when suddenly I hear this guy screaming, "Shark! Shark! Get out of the water! Get out of the water!" I mean this guy was really excited, yelling at everyone within ear shot. Of course, this is NSB and people are somewhat use to the idea of swimming with sharks.

Anyway, now the guy is giving the lifeguard hell because the lifeguard isn't nearly as responsive as this guy thinks the lifeguard should be, no whistle blowing and ordering people out of the water. In fact, the only person on the beach who even reacted to this guy's display was, well, him. I'll bet he felt like he was in an episode of the, Twilight Zone. So eventually the guy just shrugs his shoulders, shakes his head, picks up his rented surfboard, and he wonders off back to his condo.

About five minutes later this big five-footer comes slowly cruising along and guess what, people got out of the water. :laughing7: Man, the things you see at the beach....what a hoot!

Upvote 0

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
They move around so gracefully. Its when they eat people that gives them a bad name. A few bad apples ruin it for the whole species. Now everyone wants to kill them.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They move around so gracefully. Its when they eat people that gives them a bad name. A few bad apples ruin it for the whole species. Now everyone wants to kill them.

I've thought about getting a video camera but do they make really user friendly cameras and software for completely video illiterate users? :laughing7:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to have a go pro camera myself, but barely can take photos with my digital camera. They give away a complete camera outfit everyday and now have a dual set up that requires two cameras. That way you can have video and still shots at the same time. Maybe I'll win one of these days. I would have loved to have some videos of the day I found a gold ring inside a half shell of a mussel and nearly missed it in my scoop. Or, the time when I first started water hunting and they had let the water down and walked out to the water and a 10K ring was just winking in the sunlight and water. The eagle I've seen with fish in his talons the last two times would have made some good video for me. I get spooky around the big snapping turtles, snakes and thought I'd stumbled onto an alligator one day, but someone had just threw out some large concrete blocks or rocks. Sharks, run for your life or at least get the camera. Lol

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The shark story reminds me of the way people reacted to a dead body in the doorway of a convenience store. People simply stepped over the dead guy sprawled on the ground and went in and out of the store. In other words, once the pattern was set the herd followed and didn't want to deviate. Consider a shark with only one panicked guy - the herd will not scatter. People fear being different or thinking differently than the crowd.

Jackalope

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot name of rebuilt pier in Florida near Naples(?) (A hurricane Donna victim perhaps in 1960) where people did panic at sight of fins approaching and stormed the beach escaping dolphins. Fun to watch.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those Banner Planes that fly up and down the beaches. If you saw what they see everyday, you'd NEVER go into the water. Hundreds to 1000's of sharks swimming among the people feeding on mullet. Once in a while someone will get bit by accident when the shark misses the mullet and gets a surfers foot. I'd rather get bit by a shark than hit by lightning about the same odds. My nephew paddled a kayak beyond the breakers and looked down and saw hundreds of feeding sharks. He'll never go out there again.

Attachments

• Shark.jpg
    Shark.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out detecting today and the beach was packed, there was a row of fine looking young ladies face down with the straps undone I came real close to Screaming........... Shark Shark Shark!!! Just a bad thought I guess..

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get my then young nephew to throw a cup of ice water on a couple ladies lying face down, sans top straps, but his Mom caught him before he got both of us in trouble. Long time ago, he's 37 now.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting today and the beach was packed, there was a row of fine looking young ladies face down with the straps undone I came real close to Screaming........... Shark Shark Shark!!! Just a bad thought I guess..

This is why you "always" carry a bottle of sun blocker in a holster. First you sweep your detector over them and then you tell them, "Yep. Machine says you ladies are becoming dangerously radio active. Better let me rub you down with this special sun blocker that will reduce the risk." :laughing7: (Never actually tried it but please let us know from jail if this works.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions