SHARK WARNING

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be worth mentioning that it is that time of the year again. The migrating baitfish are really schooled up along the coast right now and shark sightings in the shallows are commonplace. Just in the past few hunts I've seen a few small ones (3 footers) right up in the washes and shoreline breakers. These sharks are there to feed and the schools of baitfish are thick and dark and they'll be passing all around you - the flashing of hands & feet - well, you get the picture. And it should go without saying, "Probably best to stay out of the water at night right now." Be safe my friends! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" September through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks.

Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send me these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly.

Hahahahahaha ! That's one one to cut the competition down!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in the water your no match for even a smallish shark

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really sickens me! I hate hearing how stupid some people are!

The reality is that there are far more of us who eat shark than sharks which eat man. Yet they consider the shark as the Apex predator not humans Hmm.

Of the known 368 to 440 species of shark (depending on source quoted) only twenty species are dangerous to humans. Of the twenty dangerous species four account for most attacks world wide: The Bull shark, Tiger shark,
Great White Shark/White Pointer and the Oceanic whitetip shark.

Just mentioning the word shark in Western Societies often triggers primeval fear as well as acts of violence against them such as the one which sickened you. I blame the media for sensationalizing such acts to improve ratings/circulation so that they can sell more papers rather than showing how ignorant and disgusting such acts are. Off all the ways I could be hurt or injured shallow water hunting being attacked by a shark is not even be on my list.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I was once attacked by a sandflea. I ran all the way back home. Forgot my truck and just ran. Do not mess with sandfleas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread