Shark

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I had to push a shark and a ray away with my coil.....wife was skeptical of my stories. Today I brought my video camera. He is no monster......but I did get a quick video. He didn't come as close, but luckily he made a right turn when I looked up. And to top it off.....only found a couple bucks in clad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXloimEeosw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Dude that way cool. Well I am just watching it on video. If I was there I would have said some other words.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's scary, Hag;

I would've been out of that water pronto!

Be careful out there.

Lorraine

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You handled that like a true pirate....did he bump you or the detector shaft?

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You handled that like a true pirate....did he bump you or the detector shaft?

He didn't get that close thankfully. Last weekend a ray went into a hole I was digging between scoops.....when I shoved the scoop back in the hole I hit him. He came straight up thrashing......I swatted him with the coil. Five minutes later a shark came swimming right up to investigate my coil.....I had to bop him in the face to make him go away. He was small.... But I think I yelled out like a sissy.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was probably the food you were stirring up on the bottom that attracted them. Cobia are known to follow rays for that same reason.

Always remember to shuffle your feet - if you step on a stingray, it can ruin your day.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think sharks can pick up on the electrical current the coil gave off. They really liked my PI when I dove saltwater and swam to close for comfort.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I think sharks can pick up on the electrical current the coil gave off. They really liked my PI when I dove saltwater and swam to close for comfort.

I feel they are attracted also. I have had some change directions and come real close.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have heard others say that. It would be an interesting scientific study if they chose to do it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they like the gold you are uncovering and swoop in and grab it before you do!
Be careful out there your supposed to be doing a happy dance not a shark dance.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is more the digging then the coil giving of electrical pulses

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stand your ground! Could be another detectorist has trained that shark to keep others from hunting that prime turf. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't get that close thankfully. Last weekend a ray went into a hole I was digging between scoops.....when I shoved the scoop back in the hole I hit him. He came straight up thrashing......I swatted him with the coil. Five minutes later a shark came swimming right up to investigate my coil.....I had to bop him in the face to make him go away. He was small.... But I think I yelled out like a sissy.
I heard someone say that they scream the same whether its a piece of seaweed or a giant shark that touches their leg.

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive wondered about the electro-magnetic field produced by the coil......could that attract them? Or is it just the commotion in the water that they believe is a injured fish.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive wondered about the electro-magnetic field produced by the coil......could that attract them? Or is it just the commotion in the water that they believe is a injured fish.

First and foremost, that is some wild stuff! Second I'm not that smart when it comes to the electro-magnetic stuff or electro harmonics. (I turn on my machine and go) Here I have seen what I believe to be the gathering of smaller fish around where I'm hunting and I think it's from stirring up things they can eat. But where there are smaller fish comes bigger fish. I always keep my eyes open when I see the smaller ones dash by, because then I usually see a barracuda right behind them.

Again, very cool. Stay safe out there!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that sure does (did) happen, I've had small sharks do that to me and I don't think people believe me when I tell them. I've even seen barracuda go by me so fast like a torpedo and come back around a few times. Scares you enough to leave toilet fish.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
jaws.gif

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that sure does (did) happen, I've had small sharks do that to me and I don't think people believe me when I tell them. I've even seen barracuda go by me so fast like a torpedo and come back around a few times. Scares you enough to leave toilet fish.

"Toilet fish"......:laughing7:.....:laughing7:....oh man. No pun intended here, but I'm trying real hard to wipe the laughter from my face.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, sticking with the first possible theory, would a larger coil, in theory, attract larger sharks? :laughing7: :icon_scratch::dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread