bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was wondering , we hear about swimmers being bitten by sharks. Anyone hear about a detectorist being bitten ? Most attacks take place in 3 feet of water, right where we detect.
That being said , don't sharks and rays have super sensitive electric/magnetic sensors ? Wouldn't the detector give them a "sour taste" and leave us alone?
At least with rays , the swishing of the the coil gets them moving out of the way.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't run into a shark yet, but, tons of rays. The worst are the jellyfish. I won't even go in the water when they're around. Hunting at night is always an adventure out in the water. I only go about thigh deep at night. It's always a REAL thrill having a coarse chunk of kelp run across your leg!

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here in the gulf coast I have been stalked by manatees at night and that is no fun in the dark. only seen 3 sharks at night and all of them have been bonnet heads which I am not scared of. I have seen thousands of stingrays but all but a few have been the small ones.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't run into a shark yet, but, tons of rays. The worst are the jellyfish. I won't even go in the water when they're around. Hunting at night is always an adventure out in the water. I only go about thigh deep at night. It's always a REAL thrill having a coarse chunk of kelp run across your leg!
I wear long sleeve sweat shirt or dive jacket and gloves - jelly fish don't get me

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen several sharks..... most just curious, kind of like people lol. Manta rays avoid you. We are lucky to not get to many jelly fish on this side of the island (Gulf). BUT..... during season those tan STING rays can give you a real painful stick that a lot of hunters have gotten. Just shuffle your feet when their are alot of um around.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was out this morning at my FAV beach and did not see a single stingray of any kind but my Manatee friend decided to show up again and scared the @#$% out of me as it was less than 3 feet away when I first saw it.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been seeing alot of moon jellies this month just got to where that suit gloves and hood the only place they get me is in the face only about once a year

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You American guys are mental...i am in UK and nothing here to hurt you in the water...but i would not have the guts to even go knee high...im terrified of anything under the water.

You got big rays and sharks around you and your like kinda....ah, no biggie.

F**k that...im crapping myself thinking about it...lol.

Matt.

MRS GOLD

Greenie
Jun 6, 2018
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting you brought this up. My husband ,Grandson and my self were just talking about this the other day, after my grandson and me made our 1st underwater treasure hunt dive. It was a shallow bay where people swim. After hunting around awhile and finding a few goodies we were just taking in the underwater world. When we encountered 3 different types of bait fish swimming schools. It appeared they might have been attracted to the PI detector. To test my theory I pointed it at the schools of fish and they didn't swim away but let me get in close to them, which I would think they would of kept their distance. My husband has encountered sand sharks, Rays and other fish while detecting in the surf at night.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...another reason to wear a mask - I can see the sharks and rays - barracudas have come up to me also
I wear dive boots with a thick sole --- I stepped on a ray and later a horseshoe crab tail as a kid - and have always worn something on my feet since - got stung a few times early on water hunting in the 90s - started wearing lycra bike
shorts under my bathing suit (which also stops chaffing and other creatures going up my shorts)(years ago in Mexico
I had an electric eel swim up my thigh)
started wearing a sweatshirt at first to keep the jellies off my arms (ive always worn a t- shirt in the water - I got sun poisoning as a kid from burnt back)
I hunted with a guy wearing just a bathing suit and we got into a batch of huge jellyfish - 3 different varieties
all with different degrees of stings - I had sweat shirt and gloves and just pushed them away - he got stung about
50 times - I could hear his screams thru his snorkel - I told him I had an extra sweatshirt and he resisted
and after an hour he gave in and put it on - think I gave him gloves too
I wear a lite dive jacket most of the time now and wear gloves 90% of the time

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" September through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks. Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send me these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment." While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly.

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was nailed by a ray last year at Ft. Myers Beach. I had already started to dig when he got me. Burn burn burn is what it feels like. Got home put drawing save on wound, by am was out there again.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckily for me on the central coast of California , not a lot of jellyfish , waters to cold (avg 62 degrees) unless they get blown in from down south or a big El Nino . Our Barracuda are about three feet long , not the telephone pole sized ones like in Florida (lived in Clearwater for 7 months).
Absolutely no Manatees !
Mostly Great whites and rays bigger than manhole covers !

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there attracted to battery output like a flash on a underwater camera

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used