Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returned for a short hunt tonight at my honey hole! It did not disappoint, no wheats tonight but a really sharp 1938-D Merc dime! And a "Thin Dime" 10 play coin. Absolutely love this hobby! Happy hunting everyone! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440457949.059330.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440457965.589954.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440457978.090875.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440457995.277417.jpg

Upvote 9
Sweet silver! And some "spare" money! Nice!

Nice digs. Who doesn't like to pull a Merc. You now have a start on a play coin collection.

Nice digs. Who doesn't like to pull a Merc. You now have a start on a play coin collection.

Thanks! It is the first play coin I have dug up, I hadn't found anything to old at this site but seeing a dirty little silverish disc got my hopes quite high for a second or 2 lol

Nice merc, i got about ten of them play coins, man when yah first see them in the hole it looks just like a silver coin :BangHead:

Nice Merc. Silver is always good. Congrats.

I find those "play money" aluminum coins from time to time... I try to make mine out to be Spanish reals, but no such luck... yet.

Nice. I found that same play coin. I think they're from the 1950s

"The "Thin Dime" play coin was part of a "Mint-O-Money" package of play coins and paper notes, which originally sold for 29¢ in the 1940's or 50's. These, along with a variety of other play money, were made by Tracies Industries of Holyoke, MA. Later, as Tracies increased the price to 89¢ and added other items to the package, Kresge's (now K-mart) began selling Japanese-made imitations of the coins, and those in turn were followed by copies made in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Yours appears to be one of the originals, however."
Source:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/66405-thin-dime.html
Post #9 by "PBK" --perhaps the best researcher to have ever been on Tnet.
Don......

"The "Thin Dime" play coin was part of a "Mint-O-Money" package of play coins and paper notes, which originally sold for 29¢ in the 1940's or 50's. These, along with a variety of other play money, were made by Tracies Industries of Holyoke, MA. Later, as Tracies increased the price to 89¢ and added other items to the package, Kresge's (now K-mart) began selling Japanese-made imitations of the coins, and those in turn were followed by copies made in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Yours appears to be one of the originals, however."
Source:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/66405-thin-dime.html
Post #9 by "PBK" --perhaps the best researcher to have ever been on Tnet.
Don......

Thanks for the info!!! I sure do love this forum and all the great information shared!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back