'Sharpening Stone' Perhaps?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An online friend of mine who is a reputable authenticator/dealer identified an artifact for me a while back as a 'sharpener': as I understand it, a tool that was used to - blunt / knock down / dull - the edges of a chert point in preparation for final pressure flaking of that edge. Edges that are slightly blunted flake off sharper, crisper, and more uniformly than they would otherwise. They end up 'sharper'. I am recalling this as I study another estate sale find pictured below. The rock certainly has patina; I do not see any modern machine marks, and that groove is quite pronounced.

Could this be a 'sharpener' tool? (btw.....the name is obviously counter-intuitive: shouldn't it be called a 'dull tool' or 'blunt tool'?) Is 'Abrading Stone' the proper terminology? Thanks!

stone 1.jpg
stone 2.jpg
stone 3.jpg
stone 4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting piece...

Groove looks quite straight to have been used as an abrader. And it's curve contrasts with most known flat surface/face of abraders.
I'm not saying it was not used as such. Just not seeing how to dull a 1/8 inch long section edge for example where a pressure flake is desired for removal.
Pushing into and edge to remove a flake works better by doing so below the "centerline " of an edge. That suggests a wavy edge more than a straight one.
Which would make for a wider groove in the abrader , if , that inner groove wass from wear from grinding edges...

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have done a lot of flint knapping and been around a lot of flint knappers but have never seen an abrader that ended up looking like that. Suppose it could be, but I doubt it. It kind of resembles a boat stone.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a lot of flint knapping and been around a lot of flint knappers but have never seen an abrader that ended up looking like that. Suppose it could be, but I doubt it. It kind of resembles a boat stone.

Not a Boat stone here is a large abrading stone / Boulder Mortar.

Attachments

• P1294264.JPG
    P1294264.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 42
  • P1294267.JPG
    P1294267.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would only work if the edge of the flint piece to be abraded had the same curve as the rock. Edge abraders I have seen are flat. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread