Sharps Bullet in a Burnside Cartridge!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hello All,

Got out today for a few hours with the Pitdiggers! I thought I had finally dug a complete Burnside cartridge but.. after cleaning and with some help it turns out I dug two burnside cartridges stuck together with a sharps bullet inserted into them backwards!! That is how they came out of the ground. If you look at the sharps you can see where the part of the bullet that was inside of the cartridge is not white like the rest of the bullet. I included a few pictures.. together and apart, you can make out the remaining part of the second burnside and see the difference on the bullet where it was in the case versus expose to the ground. I also found a .69 3 Ringer and a few odds and ends type of house site find nearby. All in all.. a pretty cool find!!

MonkeyBoy

Attachments

• Sharpandburn2.jpg
    Sharpandburn2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 854
  • Sharpandburn1.jpg
    Sharpandburn1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 857
  • group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 848
  • burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 862
Upvote 0

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very different and very cool.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MB, a relic dealer once showed me a relic that was dug with a Sharps Bullet inserted upside down into a Sharps Cartridge but yours is a first for me. Rare Find!!! HH.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting find. One problem with the Burnside carbine was removing the spent cartridge. Upon firing the empty cartridge would stick in the breechblock. Troopers would often use another empty shell to stick inside the one in the breechblock and pull it out. Somebody used the Sharps bullet to remove the first shell, then left the first empty on and used it again to remove the second.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
l.cutler said:
That is an interesting find. One problem with the Burnside carbine was removing the spent cartridge. Upon firing the empty cartridge would stick in the breechblock. Troopers would often use another empty shell to stick inside the one in the breechblock and pull it out. Somebody used the Sharps bullet to remove the first shell, then left the first empty on and used it again to remove the second.

I have read about them "sticking".. but that is a good theory.. and sort of explains it. I was honestly a little disappointed when I realized, er when it was pointed out to me what it was, I dug a bunch of dropped Burnside a month ago.. none whole and really wanted one.. but now it is one of the cooler things I have dug in a long time to me.. even has it's own little display case!!! Thanks for the info..

MB

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:

Good explaination, I was puzzelling over this one until I scrolled down.

Interesting piece of history!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Talk about something wild Mark.....definetly a coversation piece.Very Cool Dig Buddy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
johnreb1980 said:
Nice finds, I would put the bullet back in the cartridge and display it like that. :thumbsup:

I did!! It is all nicely tucked away in it's own display case ;-)

MB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess what I'm wondering--and I don't know if anyone else might be wondering this...is if that contraption could've been fired...

Was the black powder still in that burnside casing?

But why do that if you had a usable burnside to begin with? Maybe just the product of boredom in a camp or picket post...

I just saw that they were likely the same caliber and wondered...

-Buckles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen and examined thousands of cartridges old and new and I've never seen one like that! The explanation sounds plausable though. I've read where they found muskets (muzzle loaders) that were charged 3 or 4 times and never fired, because the soldiers got so nervous he couldn't remember loading it. Neat find. Monty

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MonkeyBoy,

Had a blast as usual.. and sorry I kinda had to point out it was a sharps not a burnside ::) !!! Can't wait till we get out diggin' again.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
civilman1 said:
Talk about something wild Mark.....definetly a coversation piece.Very Cool Dig Buddy :thumbsup:
[/quote

Thanks Joe!This one had be puzzled.. Pitdiggers ID'ed it.. it's now my favorite 2009 find!!

Mark

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
tymcmurray said:
Nice find. I certainly would not have known
what to make of it.

Ha, me either!! You can see the base is either rotten or pounded a little... I never even thought Sharps till Pitdiggers Son #1 said " That's a sharps!" ;-)

Mark

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
pitdiggers said:
Hey MonkeyBoy,

Had a blast as usual.. and sorry I kinda had to point out it was a sharps not a burnside ::) !!! Can't wait till we get out diggin' again.

Goes to show.. no matter how pounded out a spot is.. always something cool to find.. and No.. it was good you pointed that out..seeing the Burnside cartridge that was all i was thinking.. finally found a whole one.. this is even cooler!! To me it's as good a a nice carved bullet etc... so I'm glad you did.

mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread