Sharpshooter 2 is closest to what new BH model

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up Sharpshooter 2 off of Craigslist a couple months back and just wanted to see which new Bounty Hunter model it is closest to. I am having a blast looking for stuff in the back yard and in a couple parks in the area. Is there a way to tell when my detector was made? I am still looking for that first silver coin but I have found over a dozen Matchbox cars :) My house was built before the turn of the Century so I am hoping I will find something interesting here. Thanks for any help.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your talking about the "newer" Pro line, the Quick Draw Pro is closest. It doesn't have an all metal mode, but adds the numeric ID to the SSII. It is also deeper by an inch or so plus you get the better 10" elliptical coil. Around $200.

The Land Ranger Pro offers all metal and ground balance plus 7 modes of detection and a few other settings not found on any Bounty Hunters. I've seen it for $256 new.

The Platinum is a good choice as well. The cheapest I've seen it new is $299.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to the reply. I was just looking at detectors that are about the same as the one I have so that when I go to upgrade I will have a better idea of what I am comparing things to. Thanks again.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Sharp Shooter 1995 ....the II... i`m not sure.
Gary
Picture 25.jpg

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like seeing those old ads, Gary. Detects up to 12"? The BH website says the II detects up to 8". Wonder what happened? ???

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be that they started using more realistic depths in there info. Under promise and over deliver gets you much better reviews.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Sharpshooter 2 looks for the most part like a Pioneer 505 except the Pioneer has a depth LCD where the Sharpshooter's Mode LCD is. The main reason I am asking is I have a chance to get a Garrett AT Pro at a very good price with my Son's discount but just don't know how much of a difference there would be. I have a bad case of the "I wants" right now. It might just be time for a little retail therapy to help with the winter blues.

Last edited:

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sharpshooter 2 looks for the most part like a Pioneer 505 except the Pioneer has a depth LCD where the Sharpshooter's Mode LCD is. The main reason I am asking is I have a chance to get a Garrett AT Pro at a very good price with my Son's discount but just don't know how much of a difference there would be. I have a bad case of the "I wants" right now. It might just be time for a little retail therapy to help with the winter blues.
I've never used a BH machine so can't comment on them BUT I do really enjoy my AT Pro! I believe there is a good reason you find a million youtube videos of AT Pro vs XXXXbrand. I even see them comparing the AT Pro to machines that are twice the price. That was one of the selling points for me.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never used a BH machine so can't comment on them BUT I do really enjoy my AT Pro! I believe there is a good reason you find a million youtube videos of AT Pro vs XXXXbrand. I even see them comparing the AT Pro to machines that are twice the price. That was one of the selling points for me.

Yep
If the two guys on the TV were using Bounty Hunters ...than all the newbies would be using the Bounty Hunters .
You can compare a Bounty Hunter to a machine that cost twice as much...so what ?
The Garrett AT-Pro is a good machine...but the Hype is just to much.
Gary

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep
If the two guys on the TV were using Bounty Hunters ...than all the newbies would be using the Bounty Hunters . But they're not.
You can compare a Bounty Hunter to a machine that cost twice as much...so what ? But they're not.
The Garrett AT-Pro is a good machine...but the Hype is just to much. I didn't create the hype, I did my research and for my budget and use, the AT Pro was my choice. Just because I have a low post count does not make me a newbie either.
Gary
Just posting MY opinion. I don't fall into HYPE. I do research and decide which is best for me.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I was hoping someone had used both machines and could tell me the difference in preformance...if any. I have done a good amount of reading about the AT Pro and have read what I could find on the Sharpshooter 2 and it seems that a lot of people like the AT Pro for the price. Just looking at my options. Believe me I don't go out and spend $500 at the drop of a hat on something just because Deep Digger Dan was using one on youtube...but I do like his videos :)

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Land Ranger Pro offers all metal and ground balance plus 7 modes of detection and a few other settings not found on any Bounty Hunters. I've seen it for $256 new.

The Platinum is a good choice as well. The cheapest I've seen it new is $299.

^^^^This.^^^^

My digging Partner swings an ATpro and it is a fine machine but the only thing it has on my Land Ranger Pro is the head is water proof as far as we have been able to determine. Now that is a big plus for some, but I don't plan on doing any underwater detecting so it is a non issue for me and I will happily use the extra I save to get an xpointer a digger and some whiskey.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and a rain proof cover for the head (10 bucks on ebay and it fits great).

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just posting MY opinion. I don't fall into HYPE. I do research and decide which is best for me.

And you are correct, in MY opinion. The AT Pro is a great selling machine, and has found a home with many detectorists. It is also one of the most sold used detectors right now. In that respect, a lot of sales from hype, plus Garrett has a good name.

People become brand loyal like football fans, and if you say something negative against a brand, they fly into defense mode. We need to realize that all detectors have their strengths. We need to realize that we are all "brothers/sisters" in the hobby, helping one another and leave the brand wars up to the manufacturers.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Go get that loot Bounty Hunter .. DSCN0741.JPG But i like the LRP better than the 2 For I like the screen lay out better land-ranger-pro-faceplate.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand the whole football brand loyal thing...I am a suffering Browns fan...I am just looking for a machine that will be a good solid performer for years to come...I am not looking for the machine that will save the world. As someone new to the hobby it is fun to read old and current posts and see the different opinions about different machines and how people react when someone claims "this or that" about the machine they have. I will say that my Bounty Hunter was a very well built machine (Sold it last week) but I am looking for a step up. I have an AT Pro and a 5x8 coil in the mail as I type this. From what I have read this will be a good fit for me with both the Std and Pro Modes. Remember I am new to this :) but it looks like it will still be a good machine as I progress in the hobby. Maybe my opinion will change in a couple of years as opinions usually do...maybe not, but we will see and I will let you know how me and my new best friend are getting along. On a bit of a side note I did notice the pain on Sundays when my Browns were playing was a little less after I had a MD, so this hobby might help me with that addiction to a bad team. GO Browns

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is a good choice. Easy to continue learning on and a long time before you outgrow it. A safe and sane choice. Now, go for it.:hello2:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro will find you what you are looking for (silver). I have found plenty with mine. I have used bounty hunters and that's what got me into this hobby. I have a friend with an old bh and we compared this past summer in the park and I followed behind him and plucked coins out from where he had just swung. He said they didn't give a good dig signal. He has an older bh and I haven't tried any of the new ones. Forget about the standard mode on the pro just use pro mode. Set iron at 27 to get nails out and run pro zero and sense as high as possible and you will get great depth and separation with the smaller coil. I got my Garrett before the shows started so I did research and not a bandwagon buyer. My go to machine now is the at gold but it has a larger learning curve. Good luck with the pro and don't get frustrated because it takes time to learn any machine. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread