She isn't pretty, but I still love her! A VERY toasted 1809 USA Half Cent

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the Florida east coast beaches again yesterday, and came away with precious little clad and an unusually large amount of can slaw and pull tabs. My only keeper for the day was a VERY toasted 1809 USA Half Cent. (It was in the dry sand near the base of a sand dune which was vertically sheared last year by the hurricanes.)

She was far too gone to have any numismatic value, so, yes, I DID clean her up a bit to bring out some detail. (I used a combination of a rock tumbler and Andre's Pencils.) Below are the before and after pictures. And again, I know she's ugly, but she's my child, so be polite!

1809 Half Cent Obverse Pre-Cleaning.jpg
1809 Half Cent Obverse Post-Cleaning.jpg
1809 Half Cent Reverse Pre-Cleaning.jpg
1809 Half Cent Reverse Post-Cleaning.jpg

Attachments

• 1809 Half Cent Obverse Post-Cleaning.jpg
    1809 Half Cent Obverse Post-Cleaning.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1809 Half Cent Reverse Post-Cleaning.jpg
    1809 Half Cent Reverse Post-Cleaning.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 39

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure I will not look that good in 200 yrs---:occasion14:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! 8-)

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a metal detector in Florida about 6 years ago and never found anything old. After a while I just took it for granted I was only going to find clad and the occasional piece of jewelry; I was searching on the left coast. I did find a three ringer with my eyeballs while planting a garden in my back yard. I congratulate you on finding anything noteworthy there!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a metal detector in Florida about 6 years ago and never found anything old. After a while I just took it for granted I was only going to find clad and the occasional piece of jewelry; I was searching on the left coast. I did find a three ringer with my eyeballs while planting a garden in my back yard. I congratulate you on finding anything noteworthy there!

Thank you!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I HAVE WANTED TO FIND ONE OF THOSE FOR 40 YEARS....I better keep lookin , yea she is a bit ...narley but still beautiful I wouldn't leave her in the hole.....congratulation on a fantastic find..

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE WANTED TO FIND ONE OF THOSE FOR 40 YEARS....I better keep lookin , yea she is a bit ...narley but still beautiful I wouldn't leave her in the hole.....congratulation on a fantastic find..

Thank you so much!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely not a common find. In five years of metal detecting, I've found 13 LC's, 4 KG coppers, and a 1723 Rosa Americana, but ZERO half cents.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s nicer than the one I have. Congrats to you sir.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Uncleaned she looks like clam shell pizza, but once you cleaned her up, she’s purdy and you can see the date!!

Digemnega

Feb 10, 2018
Gillsville, GA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot, Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey no matter how it looks it is still a part of history you were lucky enough to dig. Congrats on the awesome find

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
She’s a beauty. What else wasn’t helping was the poor quality planchet used by the mint at that time. I have a lot of respect for Florida beach hunters and to find a half cent anywhere there is a remarkable feat. You almost certainly have a better chance of finding a Spanish cob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread