Shell Duck Effigy

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These glass trade beads, shell crescent, and shell duck effigy come from the Marsh Site, a Seneca Iroquois site in upstate New York dating to the mid 1600's. The necklace was strung in modern times, of course.

Marsh Site NY Artifacts 002.JPG Marsh Site NY Artifacts 015.JPG Marsh Site NY Artifacts 018.JPG

Short article on duck effigy necklaces:

The Necklace

neckla1.jpg

Upvote 0

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First those are awesome relics you have, and looking at the effigy it looks like it could be ivory or bone, I am no expert but the patina looks more that of which you see on bone or ivory and not shell, just a thought. Absolutely awesome pieces!

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic...

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First those are awesome relics you have, and looking at the effigy it looks like it could be ivory or bone, I am no expert but the patina looks more that of which you see on bone or ivory and not shell, just a thought. Absolutely awesome pieces!

Thanks! The duck does have a nice polish at that. You can see polish on at least one in the black and white photo as well. I just checked it out with a 20x loupe, esp. the underside, which I didn't photograph. It's not ivory. I think it's shell, and shell ducks are a common effigy "bead" at Iroquois sites. But it does look like polished, patinated bone, I can see that, some spots on underside make me think shell on the other hand. Thanks for the thought!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful artifact, Charl! It's interesting to see how it's put together.
Nick

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My G.Grandnother was Iroquois. Thanks for the view of a culture not often seen here. Am enjoying your informative post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread