Shell Fragment Restoration

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going through a bucket of shell fragments I have dug and cleaning them up before they rust away to nothing. So far I am pleased with the results of the cleaning and treating with rust converter. The first ones are three Polygonal Shell frags from Kennesaw Mt. The other is part of a Hotchkiss nose recovered from Johnston's River Line. It shows the charge cavity and the threading for the fuse pretty good.

D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    879.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    842.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are nice D, how do you clean them up, I have a few left like to save them.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Dharmacy. I have a piece of Hotchkiss shell almost exactly like the one you have pictured that came from the same battle. This was my first relic find ever found in 1969 with a WWII minesweeper at age 13. I watched some videos on treating iron and CW artillery shells and shell frags. I treated them with the product called Gemplers and was pleased with the way they turned out. It treats the iron from the inside out preserving them. The iron does turn black in a low lustre finish if that doesn't bother you and you can still see a lot of detail on the pieces without any further of rust occurring. I even treated my 12 pound shell with this. I'll try to post some pic's later today. Thanks for posting the pic's. Great pieces of History there.

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are nice D, how do you clean them up, I have a few left like to save them.

On these, I just cleaned off the loose rust and scale and wire brushed them by hand. I then treated them with an aerosol rust converter by Rustoleum that I got at Home Depot. I gives them a nice matte black finish, but for some reason they look more brown in the pics.

D.

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Dharmacy. I have a piece of Hotchkiss shell almost exactly like the one you have pictured that came from the same battle. This was my first relic find ever found in 1969 with a WWII minesweeper at age 13. I watched some videos on treating iron and CW artillery shells and shell frags. I treated them with the product called Gemplers and was pleased with the way they turned out. It treats the iron from the inside out preserving them. The iron does turn black in a low lustre finish if that doesn't bother you and you can still see a lot of detail on the pieces without any further of rust occurring. I even treated my 12 pound shell with this. I'll try to post some pic's later today. Thanks for posting the pic's. Great pieces of History there.

It seems that there were a lot of Hotchkiss pieces around that area. The product from Rustoleum I used has a nice black finish as well, but it came out more brown in the pics.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look great , guess I been lucky the ' few' frags I have dug came out pretty nice 'think ' a few were found by past hunters and thrown back down as they were close to the surface .

I prefer a Clear-coat but any type of preservation is a good & good looking thing.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread