Sheriff Joe of Arizona is at it again ~ Open Discussion to Agree or Not

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
As a soldier, I can tell you that last is a STUPID idea. We took a lot of street trash in over the last four years or so, courtesy of the Bush Administration...and they have a huge amount of discipline problems, and continue with their disrespectful and antisocial ways after joining the military.

I would not want to serve with anymore criminals, thanks. I had to deal with one in Iraq, and things got swept under the rug. It is easy for some of you to puff these pretty pipe dreams, because you do not really have to deal with the consequences.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Libralabsoldier said:
As a soldier, I can tell you that last is a STUPID idea. We took a lot of street trash in over the last four years or so, courtesy of the Bush Administration...and they have a huge amount of discipline problems, and continue with their disrespectful and antisocial ways after joining the military.

I would not want to serve with anymore criminals, thanks. I had to deal with one in Iraq, and things got swept under the rug. It is easy for some of you to puff these pretty pipe dreams, because you do not really have to deal with the consequences.
Last good idea like that was when Sonny volunteered on national media to take all his Angles
to Nam as a group . Military planners and the president dropped the ball on that one .
Jim

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Our military is one of the best, and most highly trained in the world. IF you start forcing criminals in, you will lose people who volunteer for the best reasons, and we will definately lose the edge we have.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing I would ever want to see is an army full of criminals.....They do the crime they serve the time. They can be put to work on public projects, but never in the military.... Keep our military free of criminals as much as possible.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh only use em for "select" high danger jobs only --- say for for beachhead type landings --and for "shock troopers" to storm machine gun nest and clearing mine feilds the old fashioned way --stuff like that you know --cannon fodder for rough spots --( turn em lose on the enemy -- to do as they will with em , no prisoners to be taken stuff --unleash the hell dogs of war upon the enemy -- you know brutal evil sort sort of beings from the 9th level of hell -- dirtbags like to maim ,rob and kill and rape -- so just turn em loose on the enemy to do so ) that way the good honest soldier folks get to live still -- high losses of dirtbags so what no great loss --oh well

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
We do not fight that way anymore, not really. And unit cohesion is extremely important. Finally: All volunteer army. That is what we are and why we are the best.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
21stTNCav said:
When someone does great positive things to help the country and he is nasayed just because politicaly you do not agree it shows your shallowness as a human and disregard for your fellow country men. When you cannot discuss the good or bad points of a subject, but attack ones person by implying that their opinion is unintelligent because it is brief it makes it impossible to regard your opinion with validity because of your lack of respect for others.

One could easily argue that locking up more and more people for smaller and smaller offenses is not a good thing for our nation.

Have you seen mandatory sentencing guidelines lately? Or recidivism rates? Joe says his tough jails keep people out but the numbers do not back him up.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to note that this is/was not Sheriff Joe's idea - but, it definitely works.

In Virginia, prisons are operated - AT A PROFIT - and have for years. The inmates do massive gardening (their own vegetables), animal husbandry, (breed, raise, butcher their own beef and pork - provides for their protein needs), launder all the surrounding hospitals sheets, etc.,
so hospital overhead is cheaper - they have "hobby" rooms, making furniture, and all sorts of things, that are sold on the market - many have their own stores, they work the roads (chain gangs) all year long and actually make profits for the state. This has been going on for at least 40 years or so.

Prisoners get extra credits (spending points) for working, and like getting off the prison grounds - and out of cell-blocks. This goes on for most medium and maximum security prisons. At the end of the day, you have tired, hungry prisoners - without the excess energy it takes to cause trouble. They also have classes, high school and college courses, they can even get degrees - a privilege "paid for" by working.

It works well - and escapes are few and far between, as are rioting. (though there are still personal conflicts, just as there is in every corner of the earth where people are packed together.)

They do have television, their phones - and a smoking room and an activities room. These are all mandated by laws.

B

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
since their heath care is cover by tax payor funds while in jail * most jails prohibit smoking by prisoners --since it been proven it "bad " for your health and can cause fires .

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
They tried that on us in Iraq...unit commander tried to say during mobilization briefings that he was going to remove all smoking areas from company areas and within 250 meters of the hospital. That did not get far...considering the wardmaster and first sergeant were both smokers. Honestly, how much punishment can you heap on people without completely dehumanizing them? You may as well just execute them en masse.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really sure, but, maybe prisons (longer term) are different than jails (shorter term), and if a prison is actually paying taxes to the state (making a profit), it might change the way things are done - not really sure, like I said.

And, of course, at any time, smoking could be prohibited - heck, its being prohibited by law to the NON-prisoner population, so, nobody really knows, since we have become a country of health nazi's. There is nothing to stop those folks who are smarter than the rest of us (the politicians), from making sure we ALL do what they think is right.

But, with a prison population, especially longer term prisons, I think it is wise for states to choose their battles.

In jails, nobody who smokes actually stops smoking in jail. There is always tobacco products in jail, prohibited or not. To think otherwise is a tad naive - just like booze (mash) in prisons, even if you do a check every day, its there - prisoners smoke - prisoners drink.

B

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
you are in the military -- they just got to "order" you not to do it since it harms their "battle unit" (you)-- yep it sucks being "Govt Issue" under some knee jerk military commanders control ) however if they put in place a total ban on the military smoking --it would also apply to the president as "commander in chief" as well --love to see some 4 or 5 star general go to obama --uh sorry sir , but you can not do that. - :wink:

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I would like for them to try. I gave up a lot when I joined the military, but I am still an American, and have a few freedoms left. Some jerk congressman several years ago decided to have all the nudie mags pulled from the PX because he disagreed with the "immorality". I disagree that people eat Velveeta, but seriously?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Libralabsoldier said:
I would like for them to try. I gave up a lot when I joined the military, but I am still an American, and have a few freedoms left. Some jerk congressman several years ago decided to have all the nudie mags pulled from the PX because he disagreed with the "immorality". I disagree that people eat Velveeta, but seriously?
Just curious, did that congressman come from one of the bible belt states ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier,

I know you are right - not only do soldiers smoke - no matter what age they are, the military turns its head away to both smoke AND drinking - even if the soldiers are underage.

MOST (not all) of the military believe, in their gut, that if you are old enough, and responsible enough to serve our country, that you are old enough and responsible enough to make your own decision on whether to drink or smoke, and how much.

B

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mrs.oroblanco said:
Libralabsoldier,

I know you are right - not only do soldiers smoke - no matter what age they are, the military turns its head away to both smoke AND drinking - even if the soldiers are underage.

MOST (not all) of the military believe, in their gut, that if you are old enough, and responsible enough to serve our country, that you are old enough and responsible enough to make your own decision on whether to drink or smoke, and how much.

B
I think this belief has also flowed into tolerance towards same sex partners in the military, the church and law enforcement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread