cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys been a while since a post, but its been so dang hot I haven't really been out. Recently I was in a field that I have hunted for years and was hunting along the ditch bank going through the trash trying to find a minnie ball or two and came across a good "can" signal. But it was a deep signal so I decided to dig it. Well since I decided to dig it out came a green badge, first thought that came to mind was it was a child play badge as I have found cap guns, toys, marbles etc... in this field. So when I got home I cleaned it up and saw the name L.B. Williamson on the top. and Caswell County on the bottom. So automatically I searched the wed for that name in that county and did not see his name, as sheriff so figured he was just a deputy.

Here is a link to the first site I found its the history of caswell county's sheriffs
http://www.caswellcountysheriffsoffice.com/history of sheriffs.htm

A friend saw the badge on facebook and started some research as well, well come to find out he is on the list above his name was Lynn Banks Williamson and he served as sheriff from 1953-1958.

Upon further research I found some more intresting facts about Mr. Williamson

Lynn Banks Williamson (1918-1987)
Army
1941-1945
World War II

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
Name: Lynn B Williamson
Birth Year: 1918
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: North Carolina
State: North Carolina
County or City: Caswell
Enlistment Date: 22 Jan 1941
Enlistment State: North Carolina
Enlistment City: Fort Bragg
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 1 year of college
Civil Occupation: Automobile Serviceman
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 70
Weight: 160

I have now also found his wife's name and his daughters names and plan on returning the badge to one of them as soon as I can find an address. The funny thing about his badge is it was found more than 40 miles from caswell county in the middle of field, maybe he was a relic hunter, IDK.

I will keep y'all updated on what I find out about his family now

Attachments

• 312607_262684650423222_100000450678694_940072_6043721_n.jpg
    312607_262684650423222_100000450678694_940072_6043721_n.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • 4111524160_ed60ceb669.jpg
    4111524160_ed60ceb669.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,410
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Sheriffs Badge (Lots of info found)

Very Cool Matt :icon_thumright: Great story as well.!! If you need someone to frame it up for you,let me know :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find and good luck on the return.

NJ

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It would be very interesting if the family members had any knowledge of how the badge was lost. Keep us posted if you can find the family because I would love to hear "the rest of the story". Great find!

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very cool

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Awesome :icon_thumright:

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21

You did some great research and I hope the family contacts you.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job Matt! and remember that it ll come back to you in another way. Very commendable. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all thanks for all the comments and as I said I would keep everyone updated on what I found out about the badge. I called the caserll county sheriffs office 2 days ago and finally just today spoke with a captain. He gave me the name of his lynn's son which is a retired highway trooper and in which also ran for sheriff. He gave me the lynn's sons name and phone number, and also said he was very interested in hearing the story once I found out, well apparently in the two days ago when I left the message word had spread of the discovery to the county newspaper and they want to write an article on the subject. So anyways on to the phone call with the mans son, when I called him and told him who I was and what I had found the very first words out of his mouth were and I quote " well ill be damned" he said that when he ran for sheriff after his father and lost the election they all moved to lenior county he said maybe his father was quail hunting and lost it that way. He said when his dad died his mother which is also still living looked everywhere doe the badge but could not find it. I am meeting with him Monday to return the badge that has been lost for over 50 years.

Thanks for looking guys

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great end to the story (unless there is more after you meet them). I hope the family appreciates your work in returning it. Good job and thanks for sharing it!

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome again!!Bring a video recorder with you and capture the moment for all to see :icon_thumright:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWD,
Strong work and great recovery! Wish all the good stuff could tell their story! I would be so grateful if that was my Dad!! Carma and L.B. will be an eye ball in the sky looking to reward you on future hunts!! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread