Shield Nickel...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was out working a favorite cellar hole of mine today which has given some some decent relics and a 1914 wheat. Decided to get brave and started working near the actual hole itself. Tons of iron, but I've pulled the old wheat out around the hole so I know there has to be some more coins around. Going slow and steady. Very small coil swings to work around all the iron. Got a repeatable nickel hit. Dug it and it turned out to be a shotgun shell. Rechecked the hole and got another solid nickel hit. Thought for sure it would be another shotgun shell. So, I dug down some more (~6") and out popped this beauty. An 1867 shield nickel. My oldest coin to date.

Thanks for looking.
-Swartzie

Attachments

• shield nickel_a.jpg
    shield nickel_a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 644
  • shield nickel_b.jpg
    shield nickel_b.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 636
Upvote 0

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find Swartzie. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work. HH.

Ed

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a looker right there. You don't find em in that good of condition in my neck of the woods...Good Save :thumbsup:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. You don't see many Shields being dug and not usually in that good of condition. :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one is in nice shape. I have dug one in ten years.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!I have dug quite a few "sheilds",but all of them are in terrible shape.My soil is horrible on nickles.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice shield!! Only found one myself, but not near as good condition as yours. Congrats!

Ray

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I have to tell you. I looked like crap after my initial cleaning with water and a soft toothbrush. So, I put it in my ultrasonic (vibrating) cleaner and the sucker started turning purple. Crap! I had some residue in the tank from other cleanings or something. Other than being a purple nickle some parts of it were coming clean. But still it was part clean part crappy. So, I thought I'd try using some Citranox that my uncle gave me. Initially, I didn't use the Citranox because I feared it would color the coin. Well the coin is already purple so I really have nothing to lose. So glad I used the Citranox. The crap came off the coin after about an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner. It still had a purple tinge to it, but only after it dried. It looked fine when it was still a bit wet. So, I let it dry and then put a very, very thin coat of vaseline on it and rubbed it in. Boy what an experience. I thought at first that I had ruined the appearance of a nice coin. I still don't know if I'd do it again.

-Swartzie

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on finding your oldest coin, cleaned up real nice too I never heard of Citranox, WTG :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great shape ,really nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread