Shiny up that Gold Nugget!

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to thank EVERYONE for their feedback. It was very helpful in figuring out what to do. In the end, I tumbled it for a bit to get some of the black manganese oxide stain off and I am very happy with the result! Attached is the video in case anyone wants to see the result. Some may like it and some may shiver watching the nugget go into the tumbler... but in the end I am happy with the results :hello2:

Heavy Pans to all

~ AJ

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I wouldn't listen to anybody telling you that you harmed the value by doing this because you didn't.
I know of several people that sell gold for a living and they use gold cleaner, ultra-sonic cleaners, and acid depending on condition of the nugget.

I have never found any nuggets that look similar to that one.
It must have had some inclusions that dissolved away?

It was buried for a very long time in order to get that black coating.

I'd probably have just carried it around in my pocket and handled it until it was shiny.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
most likely worth more as a jewelry piece cleaned up like you did than gold value anyways......??????

oldwormwood

Aug 17, 2015
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video, and very interesting. What is the weight of the nugget? Did you find it in Virginia? Don't think there is much in the way of gold nuggets where I live (New Hampshire).:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice video, and very interesting. What is the weight of the nugget? Did you find it in Virginia? Don't think there is much in the way of gold nuggets where I live (New Hampshire).:icon_thumleft:

Yes found in Virginia. It's about 6 grams. I posted a video of me finding it with a weigh in about a week ago... I'll post a link to the thread below.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/547515-large-black-nugget-video.html

It was found near an old hard rock mine in a small feeder creek... it was one of the bigger gold mines in Virginia prior the the 1849 gold rush.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find a way to incorporate it into personal jewellery, you will be able to enjoy it every day. Better than being hid away in a safe.

I know of an old guy (long gone now) that use to carry a multi-oz. gold nugget in his pocket for years. Just so he could enjoy showing it off to people.
It was very smooth and shiny (lost all of it's collector value:laughing7:).
He lent several of them to my dad in order to test out some detecting equipment. Very trusting fellow.
------------------------
Most of the gold I find has a black coating on it. I'd like to get in contact with these collectors that pay big $$ for patina (seriously).
I'd stop cleaning my gold in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
That has to be one of the most beautiful gold nuggets I've ever seen! Great job with that!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread