Detector(s) used
gold digger metal detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ship island re opens on the 24th of march after the winter break
looking forward to going over there and visit the island and seeing the fort
but i also would love to MD around the fort and on the beach
but i'm not sure if MD is allowed and thinking that is its not
my wife says that there is a ranger there on the island and greets people as they get off the ferry
i can take my MD apart and fit it in to my ruck sack and no one would know its there and walk far enough
and no one would see me MDing or would that be a bad idea or maybe i should just go and see the island first and then go back again another day and see about MDing

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a ranger, ask him/her FIRST. Trying to sneak in to detect (assuming it's not allowed) would be illegal, immoral, and a very bad example of what detectorists are about. It could also lead to having your detector confiscated, your vehicle confiscated, and YOU in jail.

OP
OP
shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will do that and ask the ranger about MDing when we go visit ship island
been reading stuff online about and it has a lot of history there
when they built the fort it was about 500 feet from the sea and now the sea is slowly swallowing the fort and the island up

OP
OP
shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while searching around this fourm some one posted the MDing on ship island is not allowed
most likely to be true, will find about it

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello shiver. I am slightly new to this hobby, and am also slightly new to this site, and this is my first post. I have been doing some research to find out where i can, and cannot metal detect in our area. I live in ocean springs, and i am looking for places to hunt. Unfortunately Ship Island is off the list. Ship island belongs to the gulf island national seashore park system. They do not allow metal detecting on Ship, Dauphin, Horn, Petit Bois, and any other barrier island that belong to the park system. I talked to a guy the other day, and he tried to take his MD on the ferry once, and he said the people that ran the ferry wouldnt allow to him to go aboard the ferry with his MD. Im pretty sure they do not want us there with our machines, which is unfortunate, because those islands have alot of history. Maybe you can do it in the water below the tide line, or near the island if your rig is waterproof. Seems like nowadays everything is posted private property, or fenced off.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Bad idea to sneak in with a ranger around. I'd just calmly walk up to the ranger and strike up a talk with him/her about the fort. Then get into the metal detecting part and ask if they would mind if you did it.
Also make it clear that you will follow the code of conduct and will not leave holes or make a mess.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the way, ship island never closes. Maybe the fort, snack shop, etc. are seasonal and closed to tourists a certain time of the year, as well as the ferry that takes you out there. The rangers are always out there, just maybe not as plentiful on the off seasons. You can goto the Gulf islands national seashore website to read their rules and regs. Maybe it is possible to write someone up high within one of their commissions/committee and get a permit to do such. I dont know if that will even work, but i have been considering giving it a shot.
Also, islands constantly change their formation over time due to wind, rain, surf erosion. The north side of ship has eroded almost completely, and on the south side it has built up. The fort used to be on the south side now it is at the tideline of the north side.
The island is still several hundred yards wide where the fort, (ft. massachusetts) rests..
Check out regulation 8 :(
GINS NPS SITE
http://www.nps.gov/guis/index.htm

Gulf Islands National Seashore

Laws & Policies

Emergencies: Park visitors should contact the park dispatch at 850-916-3010 or 911. Because of hurricane damages visitors are urged to use great care when visiting Gulf Islands National Seashore.

1. Glass containers are not allowed on the barrier islands. All litter must be removed from the Seashore.

2. Visitors should obey the park speed limits.

3. Fireworks are not allowed within the boundaries.

4. As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in Gulf Islands National Seashore.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in the park. "Federal Facilities" are defined as a "building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." this includes but is not limited to administrative buildings, visitor centers, and within walled forts including any open grounds within.

References:

Federal Statue 18 USC section 930

Florida state statute section 790.25, & Fl. section 790.001(17)

Mississippi state statute section 97-37-1

The laws of the state of Mississippi , however, generally prohibit the possession of firearms within the Mississippi units of this park, except as allowed under specific National Park Service regulations. For those regulations, you may read Section 2.4 of Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or call or email this park.

5. Pets are not allowed on the Florida beaches, the Mississippi wilderness islands on Horn or Petit Bois or within the swimbeach at West Ship Island.

6. The use of Personal Watercraft (PWC) is based on location.

7. Fishing limits are based on state laws.

8. Metal detectors are not allowed and all historic objects and buildings are protected.

9. Plants and animals are protected within the Seashore.

10. Fires are allowed only in designated areas.

12. Drink responsibly and follow all state laws on alcohol consumption.

13. Observe closures. To help protect seagrass beds Spanish Cove and the unnamed cove near Langley and Red Fish Points on the northshore of Perdido Key are closed to combustion engines.

14. COMPENDIUM of designations, closures, permit requirements and other restrictions imposed under the discretionary authority by the Superintendent of Gulf Islands National Seashore.

15. Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By all means i am not telling you what to do, or what not to do. If you have never been before you should go, it is a very interesting and beautiful place, as all of our barrier islands are. I am just telling you if you are going to the fort by ferry with your detector, beware. At least until you talk to some folks and possibly get permission, and if u do ask please let us know what happens.
All of the tourists goto the south side and play on the beaches, there must be alot of good stuff there, esp. if detectors arent allowed.
All of the history i believe is on the north side, and alot of it is probably under water.
Here is a good site i found which mentions the fort, along with alot of other historical sites.

http://www.oceanspringsarchives.net/

OP
OP
shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello bonepicker
well come to treasure net
I'm new to this site too and only been on here for a little while
i thought that ship island ferry was closed cos I've been to there website and it only says from march to October
and i also did read about some of the stuff like u mentioned about glass bottles etc that is not allowed on the island but i didn't see nothing about metal detecting, thanks for the info u posted
that's a pity that they won't allow MDing in the island, the island is full of history and there is alot of stuff there to be found and would be fun also
don't know how many rangers there are on the island and also there are life guards as well
when we do decide to pop over to ship island i will in deed ask the ranger there but i am not keeping my hopes up, but for the price of going to ship island for me and my family would cost about $80, that's just for the ferry over, not including anything else, ya thing they would allow MDing, anyway never mind
thanks again

i haven't been to ship island yet and can't wait to go over, no date set yet on when, but before we decide to go i will try and found out if MDing is allowed or only allowed with permission first
not sure where the good stuff be hidden but worth checking the beach as much as possible, ya never know what would pop up, my MD isn't water proof

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
use a 1/4 inch mesh screen type sifter on the beach areas that the public swims at * while historic items are protected * -- what about modern watches , rings , jewelry and coinage?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah the ferry isnt cheap, but its worth it. I have gone by ferry and by boat(PWC). There is some really good fishing around the islands wherever you can find grassbeds to wade. Unfortunately i do not have a big enough boat to get out there. They do allow, or use to allow you to bring your own ice chest on the ferry. pack your lunch.

OP
OP
shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they will allow u to bring small bags and ice chest, but anything that is big or that won't fit under the seat on the ferry will not be allowed on board

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the idea of a sand sifter ivan. I wonder if they would allow that on the tourist side where everyone goes and lays out on beach. I wonder if they would allow that if you told them you were looking for modern items and not artifacts.
On a side note: I went detectoring biloxi beach yesterday afternoon with my whites v3i and found 2 pennies, several bottle caps and various aluminum pieces. I also found 3 unopened miller lite cans buried together in a hole. Does that count as my first cache? Of course i didnt keep them, i am more of a bud light fan.
cheers

OP
OP
shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers

Jan 14, 2012
mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went down to gulfport beach twice so far and i found 8 cents, a sliver earing, not real sliver, a thing like a horse shoe but it was a bit longer than a horse shoe and had the letter B's on it, i left it next to a trash can on the beach, didn't want to be walking around with it and forgot to bring it home, found loads of rusty old nails and bottle caps, but no unopened bear tho

if ya could bring a scoop over to ship island and just use that to dig, than ya wouldn't know what u would find and just have to guess on where to dig, or just walk a bit and dig and walk abit more and dig again etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread