ship timber in dunes?

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In St. Lucie County Florida, just north of Normandy Beach, they are clearing oceanfront land that had extensive dune erosion. Laying at the side of a pile of sand is what appears to be a substantial ships timber, maybe 30-40 ft. long, 10x10's, bolted together with iron fastenings. Really neat long scarf joints in the timbers. Parts are encrusted with shell deposits and have worm holes, parts are perfect. Could have washed up after hurricanes. Substantial iron/rust indicates it is not real old, maybe 100 years or so. About 1/4 mile north of Normandy Beach, couple miles south of the nuke plant.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill,
can you get a bunch of pics of the timber before someone hauls it away to the dump?better yet call LAMP(St. Augustine LIghthouse & Museum) executive director John Morris at the office line 904-829-0745 if john isnt there ask for billy or robin.

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fisheye:

Thanks for info..I contacted LAMP and they are putting me in touch with interested parties. Robin is now with the county historic department. I now think timber is a keel. Did shipbuilders ever use iron sheathing as a worm shoe on keels? Anyone??

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Pictures were sent to the Fla. state archaeology department...they said the timber looked like a bridge timber. A) Why would a bridge timber be in the ocean, on the bottom, encrusted with shells? B) The remaining timber is 50 feet long, with scarf joints on both ends, indicating it was longer. C) to me it appears to be a keel, or a keelson, which protuded from the keel. Bolted to this are more timbers, also scarfed, but narrower, maybe 10x10, rather than the 12x14 outer timber. Am I on a wild goose chase, or could this be something other than a keel?? I don't have the pics, btw.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill,
if you get ahold of billy ray at LAMP he could tell you if its a timber from a hip or not,his speciality is wooden ships and how they were made.

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Additional inspection of the site by myself and a friend located 6-7 additional pieces that appear to conect to the main piece. These are on the beach at the high water line, indicating to me they are a recent washup. Tests (we put in in the ocean) indicate that the pieces don't float, so they would have to roll up. Some of these pieces indicate fairing/tapering and hand work to shape into a curve. Further research online located info about "composite" ship construction in the late 1800's, composite being iron/steel and wood, which was fairly common. Talked to Jennifer McKinnon? at the state, who said that they haven't closed the book on it yet, guess there's still hope. Interesting process.

Bill

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just an update....found out second hand that another beachcomber had a tractor drag the main timber off the beach a couple months ago, to its current location. That explains the other parts on the beach. Definitely is a keel, but new enough to be fastened with iron threaded fasteners. Seems the experts have now dated it to turn of the century (1900). Not spanish (note caps left off intentionally due to lack of respect). Thus IS a recent washup, apparently loosened by last years storms. The location may be in a Mel Fisher lease area though.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
there isn't much of the Florida's waters that isn't in Mel Fisher's lease areas.
xXx

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That?s an awfully big ocean out there xXx, and each of the recovery leases only extends 3000 yards from the center of the ballast pile.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Thanks Cornelius. I kept hearing about balast piles but was picturing a pile of rocks on deck and wondered why old ships would do that. It makes sense to me now. I love to sail but being inland I've only used single sails like on catamarans, sunfish and sailboards. The large sailing ships always excite me but I've not studied about them. One day I hope to take a working cruise on one or just spend time at a marina and get hooked up with someone with a sailing ship. Anyway, thanks for your quick reply, I really enjoy reading all the posts on here and admire the expertise I see. Dan

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anyone who has been to Savannah riverfront has seen ballast stones...they were used to pave roads and build buildings. Ships lightly loaded with cargo carried ballast stones to Savannah, where they were unloaded, and then the ships were fully loaded with cotton for the return trip. Since cotton was sold by the pound, it was stored in basements along the riverfront, so it would absorb moisture and weigh more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread