Ship Wreck

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes the brig black hawk sank in 1862 cargo is reported to be stained glass mainly--- reported to be carrying $4000 in coin -- great lakes -- I know of the rough location of it area wize -- have info * so lets talk --- Pm me

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well if you found er location -- and you know part of her cargo was $4000 in money (coins) -- I think you have not got a lot of use for me now ......... since my COPD means I can not dive on it -LOL

mdawg4852

Mar 19, 2011
Ivan,

I have a question. I've found multiple reports on this ship. Most say that the cargo was corn and stained glass. I've seen a couple about the specie, but haven't confirmed it. Do you any confirmation on the specie?

Thanks,

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ok here the data * gathered from several differant sources

BLACK HAWK * - BRIG 2 MASTED WOOD HULL --138 LONG X 26 WIDTH X 12 DRAFT - 385 TONS
BUILT IN 1854 BY STEVENS & PRESLEY IN OHIO CITY, OHIO

OWNER WAS --- D N BAMEY OF BUFFALO (NY?)

DATE OF LOSS IS NOV 1, 1862 * CAUSE OF LOSS DRIVEN ASHORE DURING A STORM - TOTAL LOSS OF ALL CREW AND VESSEL * MAIN CARGO BEING CARRIED WAS 19, 000 BUSHELS OF CORN , SOME STAINED GLASS AND OTHER BITS OF "GENERAL CARGO" ALONG WITH $4,000

general area of loss is recorded as * about 1/2 mile off PTE aux becs Scies (point betsy) near frankfort, -- the money is noted in potters "a treasure divers guide" * as reportly being on board

thanks to David D Swayze of Lake Isabella, Mich. --his web site was quite helpful in this search * --sources to check farther are * books --#1 directory of shipwrecks of the great lakes -#2 history of the great lakes- lake michigan dive chart -- thanks also to Walter Louis collection and website (kingston, ont.) also you might wish to check out the archives of these 2 papers -- the detroit free press -- detroit post and tribune

throw me a bone if you hit it big -- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there IS more than one VESSEL NAMED BLACK HAWK BY THE WAY * SANK IN THE GREAT LAKES. ::)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
DRIVEN ASHORE DURING A STORM - TOTAL LOSS OF ALL CREW AND VESSEL * MAIN CARGO BEING CARRIED WAS 19, 000 BUSHELS OF CORN , SOME STAINED GLASS AND OTHER BITS OF "GENERAL CARGO" ALONG WITH $4,000

There's a lot of these on the Great Lakes, probably all salvaged since it was on shore.

Over the years, lots of wrecks have been reduced to zip from salvage operations.

Thanks Ivan.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the wreck on the BLACK HAWK THAT SANK NOV 1 , 1862 is reported to be 1/2 mile from shore off point betsy * (driven ashore*** by the wreck report means in this case driven into the shallows where her hull burst open -- causing a total loss of vessel and all crew members in this case)-- $4000 was reportedly on board -- being her draft was only 12 feet some salvage might have been done on her ? who knows .---- I'm just pass along what info I can rake up on it --trying to help.

THERE IS ANOTHER VESSEL BY THE SAME NAME , I THINK IT SANK IN 1868 --but little is known of her .--deep and long research (many hours) will most likely needed to find out about her --no easy task.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread