Shipping advice?

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I was at an estate sale and bought this lamp for $10.

LLLL37.jpg

LLLL36.jpg

LLLL35.jpg

LLLL34.jpg

LLLL33.jpg

LLLL32.jpg

I have seen similar ones on ebay go for $150 free shipping and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for shipping large objects like this? I normally pass on these items for that reason alone (PITA to ship) but I felt the lamp was too damn awesome to pass it up.

williusb

Nov 23, 2011
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have a box for the lamp you might try U-Haul as they sell boxes that are tall and skinny that are made for lamps. An important point to keep in mind in figuring shipping charges via UPS or FedEx is that you might be charged dimensional weight on the larger boxes. This means that you would enter the weight of the box and its dimensions in the shipping calculator.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship large items often ( a 100lb ship's port hole comes to mind ). If it can be broken down, I highly recommend doing it, just make sure like diggumup said, let the buyer know ahead of time and provide some sort of instructions to put it back together, the buyer will appreciate it. That being said, even though your lamp has plenty of places to be taken apart, the cord runs through the entire length of the and lamp can give you problems. Another issue with this lamp is the shade, which can tac on balloon charges fairly quickly. I sell lamps all the time, but I quit selling them with shades a long time ago.

A lamp like you have pictured at $150 with free shipping can end up being $100 in shipping if you don't pack it right. Also I wouldn't recommend UPS to anyone.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
famous turtle treasures said:
Another issue with this lamp is the shade, which can tac on balloon charges fairly quickly. I sell lamps all the time, but I quit selling them with shades a long time ago.

A lamp like you have pictured at $150 with free shipping can end up being $100 in shipping if you don't pack it right. Also I wouldn't recommend UPS to anyone.
I was going to mention the shade. If you must, ship it in another box by itself. Turtles right about the cost. The price for oversized parcels is ridiculous. If you try shipping it in it's present form, that's what you'll have, even though the weight isn't that much the size will kill you. The USPS maximum size and weight limits are as follows-
Maximum weight: 70 pounds
Maximum length + girth: 130 inches
Costs almost triple for Parcel Post shipments that are "oversized" (Length + girth is greater that 108 but less than 130 inches)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the dimensions of the table part of it are, but I would recommend either 3 or 4 12" cube or 14" cube boxes for something like this. Look for a local box supplier and buy a bundle of them (20 or 25) instead of going to a place like uhaul or a retail store to get a box to fit it. You will get robbed and for the same price, you will have 15-20 extra boxes for future shipments.

Tape the bottom of the first box like normal. Then you place the other boxes over the flaps of the other box and repeat until you get to the top of the lamp. Then I would fill the entire thing as tight as possible with packing peanuts and tape like a crazy man.

Then take the measurements and weight and see what FedEx charges to various locations. USPS will rob you in their dimensional rates. UPS will drop kick it all the way to it's destination. Download some software like ShipRush to ship using FedEx and do your best to signup for the FedEx discounts for ebay sellers. Once you know what it will cost to ship, then list it.

If you ship a lot, I would recommend buying peanuts and bubblewrap in bulk. Sometimes I get entire box truck loads of nothing but packing peanuts and bubblewrap. Of course, I ship stuff for a living and get pretty nice rates on it all in bulk.

I just shipped a lamp in three boxes yesterday that cost a little over $50 to ship since they were all dimensional, I got $400 in insurance, and got signature confirmation for them all.

Jlambert4081

Feb 10, 2011
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uline is a company that sells boxes at cheap prices but you have to buy in bulk you might find your answer there.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jlambert4081 said:
Uline is a company that sells boxes at cheap prices but you have to buy in bulk you might find your answer there.

Uline is typically about 1.5x the cost of other box companies in my area. In other areas, they can easily be double. They offer a lot more than most companies do, though. And if you get about $500 worth in your cart, and go into chat, you can often get free or deeply discounted shipping.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumpster dive a couple specific places for my boxes or go to one of the local stores while they are stocking shelves. I got a few that know me. Different stores for different sized boxes. Every now and then i'll custom make my own if I don't have the right size. Forget that paying for boxes stuff. Now, padded envelopes, bubble wrap, air bags and peanuts are a different story most of the time.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I appreciate all the advice and in the future I will be sure to use it, however on this item I don't think it will work. The table measures about 14 inches across so a lamp box won't work. Also I don't think I will be able to break it down without a significant effort which means any buyer would have just as much or more trouble putting it back to together.

The one option I am probably going to go with is ebay but with local pickup only. I have never done that at it will definitely shrink my customer base, but I see no alternative.

If that fails there is always craigs list or worst case scenario a consignment shop.

If that fails hell I will just keep it, I still think it is an awesome lamp.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i'm not mistaken that particular lamp is made to be broken down and the center table part removed, to be used without it as a free standing lamp? Shouldn't take too much effort, I wouldn't think.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
diggummup said:
If i'm not mistaken that particular lamp is made to be broken down and the center table part removed, to be used without it as a free standing lamp? Shouldn't take too much effort, I wouldn't think.

The cord is fed right through the center of the lamp. There is no way to remove any pieces unless I want to pull the cord head off or release it from the light socket part.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Your lamp breaks down very easily....at the socket, take that apart and unscrew the wires, pull down thru the pole and then just start unscrewing from the top down....goat

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a very nice Ames era lamp, and yes it was a good purchase, but I have also learned not to by thing that are nearly impossible to ship. I once had to ship an H-Pipe (exhaust for GT mustang) and the box was huge. I did make a profit, but what A pain. The lamp should be able to disassmble down to a smaller size. U-Haul does sell "Lamp" boxes for about 9.00, but always try to make the box small than 108" and under 70 lbs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread