M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
found....further south. Thanks for the tip Don, my eyes aren't so good anymore.

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Wow, those are very cool. Especially if the contents are still intact. Can't wait to hear more about these.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell if they are free blown bottles or is there a mold line on them or perhaps a turn mold process that shows horizontal lines?
Also how tall are they? From the pic they look to be about 3-4 inches tall.
ZDD

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since they were made in a permanant mold, that would put them in a semi modern date, maybe 1800 and up. If you could see a mold line up near the top of the neck, 1900 and up. Pretty cool that the corks are in them. Must have been in a calm muddy bottom like a bay. Hard to say what they held, most likely wine? Maybe a look at the bottom the see a pontil or if there is any writting. Shouldnt be a pontil if fully molded, which I am sure these are. And as for the lions flanking a shield, you would think Europe, could be anywhere there, but it also could just be a family crest. So that really doesnt help. There were lions flanking shields all over. Without the shield details, cant help. Custom, fancy decanter type bottles are very hard to date, because they could have used old methods, It would be a lot easier if any regular type bottles were found with them, such as the black clyinder 5th of whisky that is so common. Maybe it was a whole load of these. Any other items?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and help. Still investigating.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and help. Still investigating.
The look like they could be mother ink bottles used to fill the small desk ink bottle.
Have you opened one of them yet?
ZDD

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 841

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

jol

Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mad4wrecks would you sell one of those bottle ? Jol

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tom Hope all is still going well for you. If you are interested in selling these bottles I would be happy to buy and display them at the restaurant identifying you as the finder.

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scott, I wish I was the lucky finder. A friend of mine found those down in St. Thomas. We are still researching their origin and the shipwreck that they came from. I will check to see if they are for sale.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Scott, I wish I was the lucky finder. A friend of mine found those down in St. Thomas. We are still researching their origin and the shipwreck that they came from. I will check to see if they are for sale.

I knew they were "quite a bit south". When I was living in St. Croix (15 years ago), I had recovered numerous bottles. Some would still have the contents inside. The one I remember had molasses mixed with the water. From what I was told, the water was unpalatable so they would mix it with molasses to mask the flavor. I sold that bottle to a tourist for $200.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread