shipwreck material or coral ?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Since I don't claim to be an expert in anything. I have a question for side scan sonar experts and experts on coral formations.
A few years ago I was on a side scan sonar survey outside the Fishers permitted area. An investor from another supposed wreck side a few miles away from where the Fishers found the Atocha wanted a survey done.

We went to the GPS numbers of this supposed wreck site. When I met the guy that wanted the survey done, I told him that I knew divers that dove the site with the guy that said there was a wreck there and and they said the only thing there was a flat bottom and no sign of a wreck.

We surveyed about 2 miles on either side of those numbers and came up with nothing but a flat bottom. I then suggested that we survey another 2 to 3 miles out into deeper water. Which put us about 4 or 5 miles away from the GPS numbers we were given and probably 8 to 10 miles away from the Fishers area.

The only thing we came up with was a flat bottom, until we came to one spot that showed a small anomaly. About 10 ft long and 3 or 4 ft high. The side scan operator thought it might be coral. We were in about 250 ft of water.

I'm not sure it was coral, since the bottom was clear every were around it for miles.
Any thoughts on what the anomaly might be? I was only a deck hand on that survey and I was wondering if this might be something other then coral and if I should give the GPS numbers to the Fishers to check out. I still have the numbers on our chart plotter.
Just curious.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not likely to be an individual coral head at that depth and would be worth another look.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big sponges grow at the depth and I have seen them 4 to 6 feet across but 10 is a stretch...... In warm clear water, send a diver down on the bounce, he will only have a few minutes of stop time, which is negligible.....I'll go.....

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ran into the same thing at Cedar Key. They were discarded diesel fuel tanks from an old shrimper. The size sounds about right.

diver9

Greenie
Feb 7, 2013
Exeter NH
Detector(s) used
Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sonar images would be really helpful. Can you get some?

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Diver9, I don't have a copy of the side scan. I'll just have to follow the chart plotter back out there this summer and put an Rov over the side and record some video.
I'm too curious not to check it out. The stern castle is suppose to be out there somewhere. If this is it. I'll turn the video over to Kim. It may be nothing, but curiosity killed the cat and I need to satisfy my curiosity.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old man, Elvis is not dead, there, it's satisfied........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread