Shipwreck Nails/Spikes Identification

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I am posting a photo of a spike taken off a wreck in South Florida. My 4-year-old grandaughter saw it in my display cabinet and asked me what it was. However, she showed more interest in the biscuit platter--in the same case--and wanted to play with the platter. Of course, it was no for the ceramic platter (measures slightly more than 5"X7"). However, I did let her handle the spike. The platter was not from below the waves--picked it up in an old thrift store during the early 1980's.

platter-3.jpg
platter-4.jpg
platter-5.jpg
platter-1.jpg
platter-2.jpg

Regarding the spike ... I did not tag it, however, I know it came from one of three sources:
1) Acquired from Underwater photographer Sheldon (Shelton ?) during the early 1980's and recovered from the Florida Keys, in area of 1733 fleet wreck.
2) From my father's second cousins family--if so, found off Boca Raton
or
3) Acquired from one of the divers on the Broward County Underwater Marine Archeology Council, thereby found off of Broward County.

I'm not so concerned about the source of the spike at this time because I did write it down in a list of collectibles when I first acquired it, and have that list somewhere in my files. However, I wish to propose a suggestion.

Other web message boards have made identification guides on items such as US military buttons; Colonial buckles, ect., mostly built from found items.

Is it possible for Treasurenet to create a similar quick-access i.d. guide under shipwreck forum whereas, members can send it photos and dates of shipwreck items to categorize, and thus use for reference? Suggested items to reference can range from shipwreck spikes to armanent. Of course, it should cover multi-national shipwreck examples. Just a thought ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread